• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin Zumo 550 and Schuberth SRC (or Scala Rider G4)

drambie

I have just returned from the Finger Lakes rally in Watkins Glen, NY and it appears I have also joined the quickly increasing club of frustrated users of the BlueTooth technology courtesy of Garmin and Cardo/Schuberth.
Here is a quick description of my (and my rider friend set-ups):
Schuberth C3 and C3 Pro with SRC system installed. I have the C3 and the SRC software version is V3.0 and both systems have been updated as recently as last week. I forget what version my friend has but it is the most recent.
Garmin Zumo 550 with version 5.0 of the software (the most recent)
I have first paired my iPhone 4 with the Zumo 550
I have then paired my SRC headset to the Zumo 550
My friend has paired his C3 Pro to nothing else besides my helmet.
Both helmets have been successfully paired using button "A"
The issue we are having is that the intercom will not work (with VOX enabled) if the Zumo is turned ON and Bluetooth is enabled. If the Bluetooth is disabled, intercom is fine. The second I turn the Bluetooth ON there is no way to make the intercom work (the FM radio also shuts off and will not come back).
The intercom feature with VOX works really well and quickly re-acquires the connection if that was lost because of distance or obstacle. When speeds increase, it is of course more difficult to understand the other rider because of the noise in the helmets. We have used it extensively and except for the early learning curve and the challenge of waking up the system we are happy with it. We have received many suggestions to actually do away with VOX and keep the mikes opened but that is another story.
When I ride alone, I have used the cell phone features and have listened to the Zumo lady give me instructions so I know that, separately, all these features work as advertised. The FM feature also works (kind of).
I have communicated with someone from Schuberth in CA who assured me that there are no known issues with the SRC and the Zumo 550. I know better than believing that I am the only one out there with the problem.
Anyone out there with a solution so that I get to use the full functionality of the set-up?

Thanks,

Dominique Rambie
Mississauga, ON

I have a similar configuration with a C3/SRC, 665 & iPhone 5 and routinely use this setup with a friend's C3/SRC. Although I can't say it works flawlessly I have not experienced your problem but I did find a reference to it on another forum. See the last post in this thread... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=800410
Regarding your difficulty hearing when speed increases - not knowing what kind of wind screen you have I have found that adjusting the position of the helmet speakers can drastically improve the volume. I also wear musician ear plugs on longer rides as they reduce the wind noise while allowing you to hear the sounds you need.

Back