• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

recommended MC shipper?

jad01

I learned this morning that I am apparently "google" challenged. I tried searching for recommendations, but only came up with pretty old posts... so...

I am buying an R100RS ('84), and need to have it shipped to Texas. Any recommendations on shippers to use (or stay away from)? All advice or experience in this regard is appreciated...:beer

I highly recommend Keyboard Motorcycle Shipping. They took really good care of my bike and they put the bike on a mini pallet on wheels. Very easy to maneuver in the back of the truck, no falling- over issues, etc.

Well, that certainly makes a difference- I try that next time!

Just be aware that it will only find info in the public portions of the forum. Any page that requires you to log in to view it can not be found by google and will not be listed in its search results.

I second Keyboard. Shipped from Indiana to Portland, Or in 2010...great pickup and delivery and right on time.

Just be aware that it will only find info in the public portions of the forum. Any page that requires you to log in to view it can not be found by google and will not be listed in its search results.

Much of the forum is open for view...you might not be able to post, but you can look around and read. So, in that regard, I would think that the google search technique works pretty well.

I have used a gentleman named Dan Kohlhagen from Houschton, GA. Found him on U-Ship and I am a repeat customer. I believe he is a MOA member and owns an RT. First class service and treats your bike like it was his own. Usually cheaper than the national carriers too. Only hold up will be when he actually has a trip planned for your location. Well worth the conversation to see when he will be in your area.

http://www.uship.com/profile/fastlanetranspt/

I had a '78rs shipped from Portland Or. to Texas in December of 2010. I have nothing but praise on how it was handled. I'm not sure if they are the least expensive but they did do everything they said they would do and did it well. Here is the contact.
You can ask for BARB.
1-800-747-4100 or 309-694-4500...ext.2219
email: BARBFUGATE@FEDERALCOS.COM

Mileage on my distance was 2105 miles..total charge was $639.00 and that was from door to door. they put it in a crate when they pick it up and it stays in that crate until they deliver it. That price included insurance also.

DW

I just had a bike shipped from New Jersey to Dallas by Federal Transport. They picked the bike up in NJ on Friday and delivered it on Tuesday. The bike arrived unscathed. I would certainly recommend them.

Doug

I appreciate all of the input- this has all been very helpful. After quite a bit of reading and a few phone calls, I think I'm settled on Federal (although Keyboard and a couple of others mentioned looked good as well). I'll follow up here once I have the bike shipped to let you all know how it went.
:beer

I had a '78rs shipped from Portland Or. to Texas in December of 2010. I have nothing but praise on how it was handled. I'm not sure if they are the least expensive but they did do everything they said they would do and did it well. Here is the contact.
You can ask for BARB.
1-800-747-4100 or 309-694-4500...ext.2219
email: BARBFUGATE@FEDERALCOS.COM

Mileage on my distance was 2105 miles..total charge was $639.00 and that was from door to door. they put it in a crate when they pick it up and it stays in that crate until they deliver it. That price included insurance also.

DW

Were you required to 'help' upon arrival? By that I mean get it off the truck ?

I didn't have to help the Keyboard driver either. I offered, but he had everything well in hand and politely refused my offer. The bike was on a mini-pallet on wheels, and he had a rear power liftgate on the trailer. He could have maneuvered it one-handed onto the liftgate and handed it over to me on the ground almost remote-controlled!

Most shippers I called all needed a motorcycle dealership as the delivery point. They say they do this to avoid unknown streets with low tree branches and wires, sharp turns at small intersections, etc... and a dealership is OK to bring a large semi rig to, and they are used to having an area to unload bikes. I asked at a H-D/BMW dealer that's only a mile and a half from my house and they said fine to use them. The Keyboard driver kept me informed of his progress via cell phone as he entered my state, and as he was 30 minutes out. At this point I asked him to divert to a large VFW parking lot 3 blocks from my house and one block off the highway, where no event was taking place and was completely empty and he could easily enter and exit with a big truck. He did so and it all went very smoothly. I think it was $600 dollars for Chicago- Northern New Jersey. I tipped him a twenty and by his reaction you woulda thought I gave hime 500!

I appreciate all of the input- this has all been very helpful. After quite a bit of reading and a few phone calls, I think I'm settled on Federal (although Keyboard and a couple of others mentioned looked good as well). I'll follow up here once I have the bike shipped to let you all know how it went.

Hey wait....isn't Federal the one with contaminated trucks and the ultra high "loss ratio"?

Just kidding...good luck with the shipping.

Well, I am reporting back post-purchase/shipping. I did go with Federal (www.funtransport.com), and am pretty pleased with the experience overall. The cost from PA to Houston, TX was about $700. They were relatively easy to work with, and were available by phone anytime that I had a question.

They picked the bike up at the seller's house. Initially, they gave me two potential pick-up days (Tues/Thurs), and then called the gentleman who sold me the bike to narrow it down first think on the week we had it shipped, as they do their route planning on Mondays. At that point, they gave a four-hour window, called the seller day before pick-up, and then again an hour prior to pick-up. The seller seemed pleased that it wasn't too problematic for them (I am glad about that as well- he and his wife are very nice people and made this an easy process for me). They loaded it and let the seller pack a couple of shop manuals in the saddle bags for me.

It took a week in transit. The online tracking/e-mail alert thing didn't really work for me (I didn't start to get alerts until after I received the bike), but I did call Federal to check on it and they updated me right away. It's nice that they assign you an "agent" that works with you throughout and serves as your point of contact. I had them deliver it to my workplace, although they would have been able to deliver to my house. The bike was in good shape, having been shipped inside a truck protected from the elements. They called me on Monday of the delivery week to schedule delivery, gave me a six-hour delivery window, and then the driver called me an hour prior to delivery (and again when he arrived). Three men unloaded it , and even helped me load it onto my little trailer to bring home.

All in all, I would recommend Federal MC Shipping highly. Now for the fun part... getting to know my new ride. Thank you to everyone who provided insight to me here!

Attachments

• IMG_6201 copy.jpg
    IMG_6201 copy.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 63
Back