• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

73 R75/5 trans oil level

kjmcd13

I was wondering about how to tell how your trans oil is at the correct level without measuring 800 CC as the Clymer manual says. Is there a plug you can pull at the proper level and the oil comes out? I see what looks like a rubber plug on the trans, but I don't want to pull it out without consulting the esteemed hedz. Any info would be great. I was looking at Snobums site which is quite extensive but did not see anything about determining correct levels........

Last edited:
The rubber plug is the timing hole!! Don't pour any oil in there....and if oil is coming out that hole, you're in serious trouble! :D

The fill plug is down by the shifter lever...should be a plug with an allen wrench hole. Pretty simple to fill the transmission after you've drained it. Bike on centerstand. Remove fill plug. Find a piece of plastic tubing to fit on the end of your liter bottle of gear oil. With the tube stuck into the open hole, squeeze the plastic bottle. When the oil starts to run out the hole, that's enough. You can shine a flashlight in there to see where the oil is. Put some rags or paper towels below the fill hole and around the frame to catch the excess and keep things from being a mess. After filling, put the plug back in the hole and clean things up.

Attachments

• TrannyFill.jpg
    TrannyFill.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 43
No, not that rubber plug. I just finished torquing the head, setting the valves, and after a little warm up ride, I changed the oil and am about to change the tranny oil, there is a black rubber looking thing on the trans, but if you just fill the tranny to the fill hole, that is the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

there is a black rubber looking thing on the trans,

If the "black rubber looking thing" is on the back of the transmission (#19), it is the cover for the neutral switch (it must be, there are only two rubber plugs on the /5 engine/trans (as mentioned by Kurt, the other is the timing hole cover)). The wire (blue) enters through the boss at the 6 o'clock position. The slotted set screw secures the wire, and is covered by the rubber plug.

The oil should come up to the base of the filler hole threads (#8 is filler "plug"), or a bit less. If oil is all the way to the top of the threads, you've over filled the transmission; get a big syringe, turkey baster, etc. and draw off the excess. It's much easier than trying to remove the bottom drain plug.

B0000530.png

The neutral switch is @ 12 o'clock position (black rubber thing removed).

8487744900_8fb3d63fc4_z.jpg

Good points Lew...I forget that the /5s are more like the R69S when it comes to that fill plug, as opposed to what my /7 is like. For the fill, then that's right...to the bottom of the threads in the angled fill hole.

Thanks for the info, I guess it would be impossible to fill it to the black plug on the left side of the tranny since it is higher than the fill hole! Guess I should read the manual correctly where it says Fill/Level!

Attachments

• GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment.aspx.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 38
You'd probably encounter a bit of a struggle if you try to remove that "plug"; it's actually the end of the shifter cam pivot pin.

6995068387_39b02205d8.jpg

Attachments

• engine_side_cutaway _ shifter_800.jpg
    engine_side_cutaway _ shifter_800.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 35
Back