• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Torque spec for engine bolt on 1100S

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
1999 R1100S. There are 2 bolts at the base of the right hand cylinder securing it to the engine case. Can someone please supply me with the torque spec for these bolts?

As always, thanks in advance!

There's two sizes of bolts down there...

Here's what my good buddy "Manuel" says :laugh

Installing cylinders
?Apply 3-Bond 1209to the cylinder base sealing
face, which must be clean and free from grease.
?Oil the cylinder wall.
?Using piston ring clamp strap,
BMW No. 11 2 900/11 2 905, compress the pis
ton rings.
?Install the cylinder and at the same time pass the
timing chain and the tensioning and guide rail
through the timing case cavity.
?Tighten cylinder down firmly.
?Fit new seal to pivot pin for chain guide rail (1).
?Install chain sprocket.

Tightening torque/tightening sequence:
1. M 8 screw ................................................ 20 Nm
2. M 6 screw .................................................. 9 Nm
3. Pivot screw for chain guide rail.................... 18 Nm

My right side cylinder head gasket leaked a bit when I bought the bike with 6,425 miles on it. Re-torqued the heads when I got it home from Raleigh. Sprayed WD40 and scrubbed the grunge with a toothbrush to see if that fixed it. Nope. Still leaks a bit. No apparent loss of compression, just weeps a bit so I just ignore it.

Some would say "they all do that" but the left side doesn't. :rofl

01 79 0 138 218 ... that's the part number for the Service DVD you can get from your dealer.

Back