• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Question for Oldtimers with New Bike

lkchris

The September 2013 issue of Rider contains the following statement in its water-cooled GS test:

Boxer enthusiasts may find it's missing some of the thumperish sound and feel of the former twins, and the vibration in the grips and seat has changed from a mid-frequency growl to a high-frequency buzz that seems to worsen as the bikes acquire miles.

As someone who hasn't considered a K-bike for a nanosecond since the initial 1985 experience of the feel of them, I'd query if this seems an accurate description of the new bikes to those with lots of previous boxer experience. Should it be said differently? I'm more concerned about feel than sound, as well-muffled is the best bet for a boxer twin in any event. Love the feel of boxers.

Weird, as I was impressed by the complete lack of vibration on my test bike, both in the seat and the bars... especially compared to my 1150.

That said, I did have some numbing of my throttle hand from time to time, even though I could not feels any vibes.

At low RPMs the LC motor did feel less thumpy, something I ascribed to the new power train layout, where there are now counter-rotating components.

Ian

Wethead Vibration

The September 2013 issue of Rider contains the following statement in its water-cooled GS test:

As someone who hasn't considered a K-bike for a nanosecond since the initial 1985 experience of the feel of them, I'd query if this seems an accurate description of the new bikes to those with lots of previous boxer experience. Should it be said differently? I'm more concerned about feel than sound, as well-muffled is the best bet for a boxer twin in any event. Love the feel of boxers.

Different folks have different threshholds of vibration tolerance. The bars can be calmed easily with heavier bar end weights, from "Manicsalamander". I've used them on an Airheard and a Camhead with good results.

With all due regard (however much or little that is) for the testers who write for the mainstream mags, they always have to find something obscure to write about to impress their readers with their vast knowledge of all things past or present. This, even though some of them were in diapers or knickers when the Airheads were in their prime.

I remember when the Telelever was described as vague and unresponsive when it first came out. I remember a dozen different rants about the turn signal switch arrangement. I remember when ABS was described as an answer to a question nobody asked.

Sometimes test bikes get thrashed by several folks and are passed from one writer to the next. Sometimes the state of tune sucks after a bit of abuse. And then the last guy writes about the bike.

I read about new models to get an overall impression about what it is and isn't. Then I would take a good look, and as extensive a test ride as possible. Then I would decide whether the bike was for me or not.

p.s. If you ever have the opportunity to buy a bike that is from the BMW Executive fleet don't assume it was ridden on Sundays by some mild mannered office guy. Ask if it was ever a press bike. If it was I would run away as fast as I could.

With all due regard (however much or little that is) for the testers who write for the mainstream mags, they always have to find something obscure to write about to impress their readers with their vast knowledge of all things past or present. This, even though some of them were in diapers or knickers when the Airheads were in their prime.

I remember when the Telelever was described as vague and unresponsive when it first came out. I remember a dozen different rants about the turn signal switch arrangement. I remember when ABS was described as an answer to a question nobody asked.

Sometimes test bikes get thrashed by several folks and are passed from one writer to the next. Sometimes the state of tune sucks after a bit of abuse. And then the last guy writes about the bike.

I read about new models to get an overall impression about what it is and isn't. Then I would take a good look, and as extensive a test ride as possible. Then I would decide whether the bike was for me or not.

p.s. If you ever have the opportunity to buy a bike that is from the BMW Executive fleet don't assume it was ridden on Sundays by some mild mannered office guy. Ask if it was ever a press bike. If it was I would run away as fast as I could.

I agree whole heartedly and would add. When the maistream mags write a review [and it's all flattery]? I look throught the mag, and see how much advertisement that particular 'brand' has pruchased.....Hate to be negative, but I do believe it matters...... Don't bite the hand that feeds ya!

Very well said, and I agree !

Back