• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2010 R12GSA - Sticking Fuel Pump

Jim Rogers

Have been laid up most of spring and summer with a non bike related injury. Doc said I could start riding again on 27 Aug. In preps, got out both my GSA and my 2000 R11RTP on 24 Aug to give them a quick once over, do the pre-riding checks, and fire them up. The RTP fired right up. The GSA would crank but would not start. I narrowed things down to 'no fuel' getting to cylinders. I was not hearing the fuel pump run so, ... I had Heidi all loaded up on the Kendon, ready to go to Adventure BMW, about a 30 mile drive. Having just put in a new battery, I called to check on if there was something special I needed to do that was not in the Rider's Manual. Tim told me it was not all that uncommon for the fuel pump to stick on the bike if it had not been run in a while and to pull the Fuel Pump Controller module and 'bump the pump' with a straight 12 vdc. That is what they would do first and most likely that would take care of the issue. After making sure of the proper polarity, I 'bumped the pump' four or five times and it broke free. Put everything back together and she starts and runs just fine.

Once again, I have to give a BZ (well done) to the guys at Adventure BWM, in Chesapeake, VA. They could have let me trailer it over and taken my money for such a simple item. Instead, they told me how to fix it myself. Additionally, when I have needed them to perform the work, it has always been done right the first time, in a reasonable amount of time, and at reasonable prices. What a great bunch of guys. (I have no affiliation with Adventure BMW other than as a very satisfied customer.)

Final Solution

Relating back to my original post:

While I was working on attaching leads to the Fuel Pump to 'bump the pump' I needed help from my next door neighbor. It was nigh on impossible for me to attach anything to the pins on the Fuel Pump that would stay put and not possibly short, while I was at the other end of the leads applying power from the battery. This was compounded by the size of my bear-paw hands. So, I ordered the jumper cable from BurnsMoto. I chose the Pump Connector and Cable only with 36" of cable length. I figured this was the best option as it is the most versatile and the cheapest.

The newer R1200s have the new fpc so its less likely to fail- still, it would be a good idea to carry that cable on the bike - you can go to any 12V source if your fpc dies- on bikes like yours that have a 10A accessory socket you can even put a plug on and just plug it in if you need it- but be darn sure to unplug when the bike isn't running if you do that.

Racer7,

You are correct. I do have the updated FPC. I had not purchased the 'jumper' previously because of just that. Hopefully, I will never need it again. But if I do, or someone in the area ever does, one is available.

Back