• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Switchgear - 2008 R1200RT

KevinRT

KevinRT
I require left handlebar switchgear for my 2008 R1200RT as the left turn signal does not work and my mechanic cannot repair it. It has cruise and ESA. This is a $660 part here in Canada. About $430 in the States. I have a wanted ad in the flea market here, and have enquired at Beemer Boneyard and Re-Psycle and they do not have the part. Any other source for used parts I might look at?

I have to say that BMW is losing me as a client. Last year it was over $2000 for a new final drive (bike had 50000 km on it), this year the switchgear, what's it going to be next? On top of the bike being unnecessarily tall, the reflection off the computer display when the sun's ahead of me making it nearly impossible to read (and they've had 8 years to fix this), and other various annoyances, BMW is making it exceedingly difficult for me to support the marque. I love my bike but ...

I require left handlebar switchgear for my 2008 R1200RT as the left turn signal does not work and my mechanic cannot repair it. It has cruise and ESA. This is a $660 part here in Canada. About $430 in the States. I have a wanted ad in the flea market here, and have enquired at Beemer Boneyard and Re-Psycle and they do not have the part. Any other source for used parts I might look at?

I have to say that BMW is losing me as a client. Last year it was over $2000 for a new final drive (bike had 50000 km on it), this year the switchgear, what's it going to be next? On top of the bike being unnecessarily tall, the reflection off the computer display when the sun's ahead of me making it nearly impossible to read (and they've had 8 years to fix this), and other various annoyances, BMW is making it exceedingly difficult for me to support the marque. I love my bike but ...

Hi Kevin, John here in N.S. I replaced my left side switch gear last year, was $595 plus tax in Canada, so I bought from 441CYCLE WEST in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. Their quote was $323, but BMWMOA membership allowed me a 15% discount. I bought my clutch replacement parts from there also. I have a friend there so he shipped it "used parts" after grubbing them up a bit, no tax or duty. Total cost in my mitts was I think $289.

I took mine and replaced the internal which had built up carbon. If you can get a replacement off a write-off, it's worth your time to pull it apart. The individual switches are modular inside. Just cut and splice.. Save big bucks.

Back