Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: RT vs GS

I moved from an RT to the GS and have never looked back. The ergos of the GS fit me so much better, and I am only 5'10". And the GS is so much more nimble. And no removing heaps of plastic to service the bike properly. You just can't go wrong with the GS.

But. You really do need to ride both bikes, giving them both a fair shake. You can't go wrong with either, one is going to speak louder to you than the other and you will know which one that is.

When you have had the RT for a couple of years and you are still yearning for that GS you had always wished you had purchased, you can trade the RT in at that time.

hogwilde
    Maybe on your trip you can convince one of your riding friends to let you ride his GS-LC for a tank. There just isn't a substitute for some good saddle time.

I just made the switch from a 2010 RT to a GS-LC. Dealer rode the break in miles and did the 600, so when I picked it up, it was ready to take across the country. 5500 miles--no issues. Rock solid. Speaking of saddle, the stock GS seat is almost comfortable. That's a first for BMW. Did a 900 mile day (too long) and could still walk. Another first--no oil consumption, none, nada, nil.

The LC engine is much different from the air/oil boxer, more like a K bike.

There are other bits and pieces like active suspension and drive-by-wire throttle which all work to make this a really enjoyable bike. I suspect that many of these features will appear on the next RT.

Have a great ride!

RT vs GSA

I had an RT for 14 years and loved it. Found my right knee gets sore on plus 2 hour rides and wanted to do some camping and fishing. I have had a GSA now for a year and I love it! Different beast but just looped Nova Scotia from Raleigh, NC and my wife claims the GSA is more comfortable. She did a week on it. Packing is a breeze for camping and gear. Suspect I could have addressed the knee issue with lower pegs and custom seat on the RT. The rides are very different but still the BMW feel. Different strokes for different folks so you need to try them. I could easily garage both and enjoy them equally!,
    John

2011 BMW R1200 GSA
    2009 BMW G650 GS

I've had both a 2012 RT and a 2010 GSA. The GSA won out because I'm 6'5" and it fits better. The RT is the best long distance highway cruiser I've ridden. I also prefer the GSA because of all the aftermarket farkles available. I think the RT bags are ridiculous with the way they open, how small they are, and how delicate the paint job is. I have Micatechs on the GSA. If the new GSA LC comes with cruise and an adjustable windshield, I'll likely be trading up.

RT in NC

4K plus trip.

Just got back from a ride from Seattle to NC. I had the only RT. I had better weather protection and even though inexperenced in "twisties" I kept up well. One rider, two up, up on a K1200 GT really kept. He is a better rider than me. The other five rode various GS's. Since the only off road and camping I plan on doing is with my horse I will keep the RT. Except for the crappy seat I had a blast.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic

Get both! I bought a 2011 R1200GS and loved it so much that I bought a 2012 R1200RT the following year. But to buy only one you need to test ride both bikes.

What I mostly like about the GS is that it feels faster (lighter bike and lower gearing), it can go more places, and with the adventure side cases it carries way more than the RT. Wind protection isn't the best but that's a good thing on hot days.

What I like about the RT is that it's smoother on the open road (higher gearing?), more comfortable, better wind protection (not so good on hot days), and it's a better looking motorcycle.

I used to say that if I could only have one of the two then it would be the GS, but as time goes by it starting to be the RT s the one bike. But for now I have both and every time I go down to the garage I feel like the luckiest guy in the world. But seriously, either one is a great pick.
    Dover, NH

2014 BMW R1200GS Racing Red

Quote Originally Posted by apexal View Post
    Get both! I bought a 2011 R1200GS and loved it so much that I bought a 2012 R1200RT the following year. But to buy only one you need to test ride both bikes.

What I mostly like about the GS is that it feels faster (lighter bike and lower gearing), it can go more places, and with the adventure side cases it carries way more than the RT. Wind protection isn't the best but that's a good thing on hot days.

What I like about the RT is that it's smoother on the open road (higher gearing?), more comfortable, better wind protection (not so good on hot days), and it's a better looking motorcycle.

I used to say that if I could only have one of the two then it would be the GS, but as time goes by it starting to be the RT s the one bike. But for now I have both and every time I go down to the garage I feel like the luckiest guy in the world. But seriously, either one is a great pick.
    I have both as well. I share your opinions. It seems 90% of the time I take the RT. The other 10% it is dam hot.