• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RT vs GS

OK.. I'll bite.

After renting a R1200GS, I purchased an 06 R1200GSA. I'm 6'2", with a 32" inseam and must say that this bike fits me like a glove. The ergos are just perfect and I can ride it all day long. My best friend has an 08 R1200RT and I've ridden it many times. Fantastic bike. Seems like it has more power than my GSA. Super easy to ride, but like others have said, the GS handles better because of the wide bars. The RT has all the gadgets.. cruise control, electric windshield, TPM, heated seat, etc. etc. The problem for me with the RT, after being on the GSA for years, is that my knees always feel like they are up to my chest. The ergonomics are different and for me, that is the reason i'd never consider getting an RT. I don't think I could ride it all day and be able to walk afterwards..

So, what I'm really trying to say is that both bikes are great for different people and different riding styles... Oh yeah, and I love not having to worry about keeping the GS clean. Hose it down with it's dirty.. no worries about scratches or it looking beautiful... because it never will.. She's an ugly pig and I love her!

Can you say.........................................................PEG LOWERING KIT!

I have both. I like to ride both. Each has its own pluses and minuses when doing a side by side comparison. Regardless of what anyone else tries to tell you, you need to ride each and pick the one that makes you smile the most. If that doesn't work, buy one of each. Having to choose which BMW to ride each day is not a bad problem to have.

RT or GS?

Just like most of us I have some experience riding both of these bikes, and currently I moved from 2012 R1200GSA to 2013 R1200RT.
Besides the obvious I apreciate the lower first gear ratio on the GSA-simply awesome.
From the other hand NOTHING on the road can beat comfort and plushy ride quality of RT.
Love them equally, and in my opinion NON is better than the other - just personal preference.

Last edited:
I have owned an RT and a GS, as others have said, different critters. I never warmed up to the RT, too much plastic for me. I liked the GS and almost bought another when shopping for a new bike this spring. Instead I rode a friends R12R and was sold. I put a Scout fairing on it and with hard bags it is as some say, an RT lite. I even put the new Tourance Next tires on the R, the ones that comes on the new wet head GS, so I can play a bit in the dirt again. It is nice having a sub 500 lb bike.

I've had an RT for the last 3 years and am seriously considering the new GSA when they arrive next spring. Has anyone made this switch, RT to GSA. Main concerns would be passenger comfort though she rides with me only 10% or so. I have a Shad 50 case that I would add that has back support. Second would be loss of the electric windshield and heated seat, both of which I like. Thoughts?

I currently own both an '06 GS and an '08 RT. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick the GS. I find the GS more versatile...it's great in the mountains riding twisties, can be taken off road (though, as someone else said, if you are going off road seriously, get a real dirt bike....its a heavy pig) and does the motocamping thing a WHOLE lot better. I "Adventurized" my GS by adding the BMW Adventure racks and metal panniers. In addition to the huge boxes, this creates a flat area across the back that allows a ton of storage for tent, sleeping bag, etc. So, while both bikes can tour well, I think the GS does it better because its such a pack mule. The lack of fairing on the GS means its a cooler bike...nice in summer, not so great in winter.

Still, if you can own both, they are both phenomenal handling motorcycles and are great looking bikes with tons of personality.

I've only owned my bikes since the first of the year and both of them have blown their gearbox output shaft seals. Neither was a hideously expensive repair ($240 & $300), but either failure would have been traumatic had they occurred while on a trip...so that's a bit disconcerting. In the back of my head there's a bit of a "Warning, do not trust these bikes" light flashing. Time will tell.

One potential issue...the designer of the GS must have been tall. I'm 6'3" and the bike is at my limit height wise. I recently added a Russell Day-Long seat which added both width and height, so flat footing while seated is a real stretch. But, if you are tall, should be no issue.

Both bikes fill different roles, so you have to decide what's best for you. Neither is a "better" bike than the other. They are both fantastic and built of an engine and platform that I love.

I have an RT and if I could have only one bike, it would be the RT. I ride it every day year round and it's level of comfort and storage are perfect for me. If I tried to do the same thing on a GS, I would not enjoy it as much.

If I were more into going on camping trips, perhaps a GS would be better, but I wouldn't know until I tried it.

I will contend that the RT is perfectly happy in the twisties and a blast to ride. It's an extremely capable bike.

Demo ride

I did a demo ride on a wc gs. Seemed much lighter than my RT. However on the highway much more wind buffeting. New clutch and tthrottle were quirky at first. Over all a real nice bike. Not sure i will change. I am the only RT out of 7 bikes riding home home from Seattle. At least two are the new model GS. I think 5 of the reaming 8 bikes are GS's. I will know more after the trip. We pull out of Seattle a week from today!

both

The perfect answer, love my 12 RT with 43k on her but I'd love to have a GS as well. Taking a hard look at the water boxer in the classifieds less than 200 miles from home. It's like a sign right? The best of both worlds, we only live once.

QUOTE=Jim Rogers;895975]I have both. I like to ride both. Each has its own pluses and minuses when doing a side by side comparison. Regardless of what anyone else tries to tell you, you need to ride each and pick the one that makes you smile the most. If that doesn't work, buy one of each. Having to choose which BMW to ride each day is not a bad problem to have.[/QUOTE]

The perfect answer, love my 12 RT with 43k on her but I'd love to have a GS as well. Taking a hard look at the water boxer in the classifieds less than 200 miles from home. It's like a sign right? The best of both worlds, we only live once.

Unfortunately, both is not an option so I have to choose 1 bike that will fit all the needs. That may be a GSA next Spring.

I moved from an RT to the GS and have never looked back. The ergos of the GS fit me so much better, and I am only 5'10". And the GS is so much more nimble. And no removing heaps of plastic to service the bike properly. You just can't go wrong with the GS.

But. You really do need to ride both bikes, giving them both a fair shake. You can't go wrong with either, one is going to speak louder to you than the other and you will know which one that is.

When you have had the RT for a couple of years and you are still yearning for that GS you had always wished you had purchased, you can trade the RT in at that time. :laugh

hogwilde
Maybe on your trip you can convince one of your riding friends to let you ride his GS-LC for a tank. There just isn't a substitute for some good saddle time.

I just made the switch from a 2010 RT to a GS-LC. Dealer rode the break in miles and did the 600, so when I picked it up, it was ready to take across the country. 5500 miles--no issues. Rock solid. Speaking of saddle, the stock GS seat is almost comfortable. That's a first for BMW. Did a 900 mile day (too long) and could still walk. Another first--no oil consumption, none, nada, nil.

The LC engine is much different from the air/oil boxer, more like a K bike.

There are other bits and pieces like active suspension and drive-by-wire throttle which all work to make this a really enjoyable bike. I suspect that many of these features will appear on the next RT.

Have a great ride!

RT vs GSA

I had an RT for 14 years and loved it. Found my right knee gets sore on plus 2 hour rides and wanted to do some camping and fishing. I have had a GSA now for a year and I love it! Different beast but just looped Nova Scotia from Raleigh, NC and my wife claims the GSA is more comfortable. She did a week on it. Packing is a breeze for camping and gear. Suspect I could have addressed the knee issue with lower pegs and custom seat on the RT. The rides are very different but still the BMW feel. Different strokes for different folks so you need to try them. I could easily garage both and enjoy them equally!,:wave

I've had both a 2012 RT and a 2010 GSA. The GSA won out because I'm 6'5" and it fits better. The RT is the best long distance highway cruiser I've ridden. I also prefer the GSA because of all the aftermarket farkles available. I think the RT bags are ridiculous with the way they open, how small they are, and how delicate the paint job is. I have Micatechs on the GSA. If the new GSA LC comes with cruise and an adjustable windshield, I'll likely be trading up.

4K plus trip.

Just got back from a ride from Seattle to NC. I had the only RT. I had better weather protection and even though inexperenced in "twisties" I kept up well. One rider, two up, up on a K1200 GT really kept. He is a better rider than me. The other five rode various GS's. Since the only off road and camping I plan on doing is with my horse I will keep the RT. Except for the crappy seat I had a blast.

Get both! I bought a 2011 R1200GS and loved it so much that I bought a 2012 R1200RT the following year. But to buy only one you need to test ride both bikes.

What I mostly like about the GS is that it feels faster (lighter bike and lower gearing), it can go more places, and with the adventure side cases it carries way more than the RT. Wind protection isn't the best but that's a good thing on hot days.

What I like about the RT is that it's smoother on the open road (higher gearing?), more comfortable, better wind protection (not so good on hot days), and it's a better looking motorcycle.

I used to say that if I could only have one of the two then it would be the GS, but as time goes by it starting to be the RT s the one bike. But for now I have both and every time I go down to the garage I feel like the luckiest guy in the world. But seriously, either one is a great pick.

Get both! I bought a 2011 R1200GS and loved it so much that I bought a 2012 R1200RT the following year. But to buy only one you need to test ride both bikes.

What I mostly like about the GS is that it feels faster (lighter bike and lower gearing), it can go more places, and with the adventure side cases it carries way more than the RT. Wind protection isn't the best but that's a good thing on hot days.

What I like about the RT is that it's smoother on the open road (higher gearing?), more comfortable, better wind protection (not so good on hot days), and it's a better looking motorcycle.

I used to say that if I could only have one of the two then it would be the GS, but as time goes by it starting to be the RT s the one bike. But for now I have both and every time I go down to the garage I feel like the luckiest guy in the world. But seriously, either one is a great pick.

I have both as well. I share your opinions. It seems 90% of the time I take the RT. The other 10% it is dam hot.

Back