Quote Originally Posted by SFDOC
Now, the best part: Free advice; [if you can] always challenge a radar/laser/timing devise ticket in court. The best you do is find out some tech guy forgot to sign the service log book, or the officer didn‘«÷t receive proper and timely training, or doesn't show up for court, case dismissed. The worst is you pay the fine anyway. So much room in between for a lesser penalty though because you took the time.
Good advice. I used to travel the state on business back in the bad old 55mph days and I managed to collect awards on a fairly regular basis. I ALWAYS gave them the opportunity to prove their case in court. I'd start with a motion to dismiss because the officer who signed the ticket had not been properly sworn in beforehand. That actually worked a few times. Once a prosecutor re-filed it and that time I was able to plead it down to a lesser speed (fewer points). My usual method was to find the officer and/or prosecutor before court started and whine about how I had to travel and about insurance rates and that always resulted in at least a reduction. Twice it resulted in an outright dismissal.

If you see me at the rally ask about the time the judge threatened me with a contempt charge over a speeding ticket.

John
(somewhat reformed)