• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

HID Headlight Conversion Kits-Your experience?

I put conversion kit in my R1100RT-P in 2009. It's a Bi-Xenon that gives me both high and low beams. No idea how many miles are on it. Still working as the day it was installed.

Someone noted about the ground. When I did mine, I was told how important a really good ground was and made sure that was not a problem. For me - it works.

I also have a kit for the R12 that I haven't had time to install yet - but certainly intend to get done soon.

So are we to believe that the factory installed Xenon HID lights on BMW motorcycles were made in a garage & are illegal on the highways in the USA ?.:scratch Both of my LT's have 35 watt low & high beam HID lights & they both just passed their annual state inspection again. .

Other than the Touratech HIDs offered as aux lights on the R12GS bikes.. I do not believe that BMW has gone with factory installed HIDs on any of their bikes (barring anything that might be available on the newest K16s).
Are you sure that your LTs lights are HIDs, and that they are indeed OEM issue?

Other than the Touratech HIDs offered as aux lights on the R12GS bikes.. I do not believe that BMW has gone with factory installed HIDs on any of their bikes (barring anything that might be available on the newest K16s).
Are you sure that your LTs lights are HIDs, and that they are indeed OEM issue?
I never said my LTs had OEM HID lights. The 2006 to 2009 K1200LT bikes have factory installed HID low beam lights. My LT's are 2000 & 2004 & I installed the HID kits myself.

I never said my LTs had OEM HID lights. The 2006 to 2009 K1200LT bikes have factory installed HID low beam lights. My LT's are 2000 & 2004 & I installed the HID kits myself.

That your HIDs are not factory installed was not clear from the wording of your post.
As I've never had an interest in owning/riding a Light Truck, I was unsure of their lighting status (other than reading posts from many about how craptastic their stock lighting was), which is why I posted my statement as I did, with a... "I do not believe..."

Thanks for the clarifications.

Installed one on my KLR650 and was amazed how much more could be seen at night. Then it had problems starting until it wouldn't anymore. Back to dim old Halogen.

Okay, I installed one of the $160 Morimoto bi-xenon kits in the Honda cage this morning. It has a bad relay AND a bad ballast. So much for paying premium prices in search of quality. I cobbled together a working system from the el-cheapo eBay parts I've got here.

Note to self: don't install everything before testing it ever again.

Back