• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

94 K75 - Right fork seal leaking

heejrbmw

The right fork seal on my K75 is leaking. The bike has 82,000 miles. I bought it with 50,000. I can only assume that no fork work has ever been completed. I'm looking for advice on how I should proceed. Do I simply need to change the fork seals and oil? Do I need to go further and change other components? Are there some tests I need to consider completing to test the springs? I have looked for threads describing the process on replacement of seals and other components, but have not found what I need. I will of course reference my Haynes manual.

Thanks in advance for advice and help. I think I am capable of performing the work, but need guidance as I have never worked on forks on anything except my plate.

Ed

The right fork seal on my K75 is leaking. The bike has 82,000 miles. I bought it with 50,000. I can only assume that no fork work has ever been completed. I'm looking for advice on how I should proceed. Do I simply need to change the fork seals and oil? Do I need to go further and change other components? Are there some tests I need to consider completing to test the springs? I have looked for threads describing the process on replacement of seals and other components, but have not found what I need. I will of course reference my Haynes manual.

Thanks in advance for advice and help. I think I am capable of performing the work, but need guidance as I have never worked on forks on anything except my plate.

Ed

Just change the seals - then install fork boots to keep the new seals clean.

Remove the wheel. Remove the fork bridge/fender. Remove the circlip above the seal.

Then bang bang the fork slider comes off slide hammer fashion with the seal and bushing hanging above the bushing on the fork tube. You will need a seal driver to reassemble the fork leg.

Just something worth trying.. I've seen a number of positive reports on cleaning fork seals - using something like a strip of old 35mm film. You side the film down between the fork tube and the seal, and supposedly it pushes the dirt/bug/whatever that's causing the seal to leak out of the seal and things are wonderful again.

Haven't done it myself, and I'd discount it if I only saw it once, but I think someone is even selling some thin plastic sheet to use to do this - and there have been a number of reports of positive results.

Cheap and simple, and if the seal is gone - it's not going to make it any worse.

Just something worth trying.. I've seen a number of positive reports on cleaning fork seals - using something like a strip of old 35mm film. You side the film down between the fork tube and the seal, and supposedly it pushes the dirt/bug/whatever that's causing the seal to leak out of the seal and things are wonderful again.

Haven't done it myself, and I'd discount it if I only saw it once, but I think someone is even selling some thin plastic sheet to use to do this - and there have been a number of reports of positive results.

Cheap and simple, and if the seal is gone - it's not going to make it any worse.

I agree it is worth a try. I have had some temporary relief by doing this but the problem seems to come back too soon for my taste.

if your seal is not whack and just needs some twerking... sometimes slathering a paper towel with automatic transmission fluid and slathering that on the fork tube after you have sealmated it will allow the seal to swell and seal again...

the process is sealmate it... wipe the fork tube clean... slather fork tube with atf... ride it a while... wipe the atf off the fork tube to dry... ride it awhile... wipe the fork oil off the fork tube if any... should be good to go... unless your seal is whack...

i gotts to compress my forks cause im hauling my motobrick around on the back of a flatbed... no way to secure it without compressing the forks... so its a chronic leaker at times times... i have done this dozens of times over the years... it has worked every time for me...

j o

no way to secure it without compressing the forks...
j o

Not true. Just loop your 1" straps or soft ties over where the fork brace meets the sliders being careful not to touch the seal. If you have the pre-Showa forks, slide up the dust boot first. The bike will then float on it's suspension. MUCH better for the bike!

:dance:dance:dance

I'm happy to report that the 35mm film suggestion seems to have stopped the leaking seal. However, I went ahead and ordered the seal mate to follow up. Seems to be a possible cheap fix. I like the idea of the hook on the end of the seal mate. Whether or not it really pulls dust or particles out remains to be seen. But, it seems plausible. Thanks for the suggestions!

Ed

Back