• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

08 RT Generator Belt Replacement Tips?

cookie

Jeff
Sorry, I looked through the DIY Technical section and this topic is not in there. I searched without any luck.
The dealer says changing the generator belt on a 2008 BMW R1200RT is a reason to use the Lord's name in vain.
Could someone please guide me in the right direction. How, what special tools, can it be done?
Thank you!

Do yourself a favor and get Jim Von Baden's CD, around $25. He has a video on the change (it is very easy, I did mine) and he does a complete service.

You essentially have a guy bump the engine with the rear wheel while you walk the belt on, but the vid is best. Might find it on you tube, also.

Last edited:
I changed the one on my 09 this year and it's no big deal. I put the belt on the top pulley and used a long crescent wrench on the bottom pulley to turn the engine over. If you are careful the wrench handle will press against the belt and walk it onto the bottom pulley as you turn the crank nut.

It may take a few tries but it works. Always turn the engine clockwise and just put the transmission in neutral. No need to remove the spark plugs but it does let the engine turn over easier.

Um, just to save you any odd looks at the BMS parts desk, there is no "generator" on your bike. It's an alternator.

That video clip is from Jim Von Baden's CD. If you like that, support the guy and get his most excellent CD.

That video clip is from Jim Von Baden's CD. If you like that, support the guy and get his most excellent CD.

Rob,

for the record, i DID purchase Jim's CD.....i try my VERY best to support those that support me an my endeavors...be they motorcycles, firearms, cycling or diving.....

BTW, i have yet to fully watch all of Jim's videos....based on the alternator belt, i would bet that they all are excellent...

wyman

I was speaking to the original poster, but glad you bought it. It is excellent.

That's one hell of a hat, Wyman!

I was speaking to the original poster, but glad you bought it. It is excellent.

That's one hell of a hat, Wyman!

thanks Rob....it is a near perfect copy of the hat that John Wayne wore in "The Shootist".....100% beaver, Western Diamondback hatband.....

wyman

One comment on "easy" belt changes on hexhead bikes. BMW changed the specification of the alternator belt sometime between when my bike was new, and when my bike was a few years old - and now. The new belt they specify is smaller, and thence MUCH tighter and harder to get on the two pulleys. There are a few tools made for the auto industry that are used to stretch and guide the belt onto the bottom pulley as the engine is turned. Trying to do the job without one of these is going to be frustrating. BTDT. Now own a tool.

Um, just to save you any odd looks at the BMS parts desk, there is no "generator" on your bike. It's an alternator.

Ah, you know that and I know that but BMW calls it a generator belt. If I started the thread with my alternator belt, I would have some guy say, ah you have a generator not an alternator.
You can't win them all.

One comment on "easy" belt changes on hexhead bikes. BMW changed the specification of the alternator belt sometime between when my bike was new, and when my bike was a few years old - and now. The new belt they specify is smaller, and thence MUCH tighter and harder to get on the two pulleys. There are a few tools made for the auto industry that are used to stretch and guide the belt onto the bottom pulley as the engine is turned. Trying to do the job without one of these is going to be frustrating. BTDT. Now own a tool.

Thank you Don, we can always expect the facts when you chime in.
Now all the rumors and stories make sense. People I talk to say they have seen the engine bump or the plastic sleeve method and can't understand how it is done because it does not go on that easily, period.
If the belt is smaller and much more difficult I will do one of two things.
The tool is going to be in my chest or the dealer will replace it.

I've replaced two belts in the last four months; on my R1200R and a friends R1200RT. Used the bump method and it was easy. I think some folks may be trying it with their spark plugs still in.

I just won't be able to sleep nights if I put that belt on with hidden damage after hearing all these stories.
I called the dealer and made an appointment to have it installed.
Piece of mind is priceless, well important anyway.
Thank you for all the help, what a great club!
I will spend the best part of Saturday doing the major 25K service and thanks to the DIY help in this forum it is easy.

I've replaced two belts in the last four months; on my R1200R and a friends R1200RT. Used the bump method and it was easy. I think some folks may be trying it with their spark plugs still in.

I too have changed the gen-alternator belt 3 times, last one about 6 months ago. It was hard at first, not bad the second time, and a quick thought free simple job the third. I would buy the tool (I have many special tools, I love tools!), but it is so easy I wouldn't use it.

I think it, like many things, comes down to your comfort and skill level. Some guys can adjust valve lash in ten minutes, others ten days.

If your skill level does not make you comfortable, the dealer will certainly do it right. Probably for about what it would cost to buy the special tool!

I'm making a WAG here - but I am guessing the people who haven't found it difficult to replace the belts recently have been using some of the old spec belts. The changeover was on 07/12 - and some dealers/suppliers may still have had the old spec belts in stock. (Actually - I know a number of aftermarket vendors had the old spec belt specified back in June when I did this job..)

Here is what they look like - the size is embedded in the belt code from Conti:

Old Belt - 611mm
IMAG1163_zps8db84bb9.jpg

New Belt - 592mm
IMAG1157_zps4f40cf5e.jpg

The Conti code is - 4 represents the number of ribs, PK is the shape of the ribs, ### is the diameter of the belt. Not sure what SR stands for - but it may mean "stretch." Both these belts were purchased from the same BMW dealer. The old one sometime in 2009, the new one in spring of 2013. The old one now lives coiled up in my tankbag, just in case.

The tool I purchased was from Gates - who also makes this sort of belt. http://www.gates.com/europe/brochure.cf ... n_id=15470
>>> Fixed Link, thanks to Marchyman.. http://www.gates.com/europe/brochure.cfm?brochure=10940&location_id=15470
STRETCH_FIT_INSTALLATION_TOOL_01_7_P.jpg

There is a video link on that pages showing how to use it. I found one on Amazon for less than $10 including delivery. They come in different sizes, the one I got is about 1.75" in diameter. The official BMW tool is > $200, the Conti tool (which is quite elaborate) is $180.

BTW - Rob, this isn't the first belt I ever changed. The plastic sleeve just plain didn't work. The plastic bent way before the belt got near big enough to go over the bottom pully.

Last edited:
Ah, you know that and I know that but BMW calls it a generator belt. If I started the thread with my alternator belt, I would have some guy say, ah you have a generator not an alternator.
You can't win them all.

Ah, those funny Germans....like the Brits and their "positive earth".

I always considered a "generator" as being single phase output, and an alternator as being three phase. Guess a 3-phase "generator" is possible.

Back