• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Clickety clack chain tensioner snaped

flatpic

At 10,100 miles my 650gs let me down. The chain tensioner failed and the chain went all over the place. I call BMW roadside assistance and had the scooter sent to the dealer. The dealer needs to get authorization from mother BMW to open the engine and see what damage the chain may have done. It may take up to three weeks or more to fix. It all started when i was hearing a clickety clack when I came to a idle, not to loud but noisy, then it got real loud then bam so I turned the key off and called the tow truck. Well now I have some time to ride my new BMW GS1200 water cooled bike, the scooter was stealing the show when it came to GS.

IBKING flatpic

At 10,100 miles my 650gs let me down. The chain tensioner failed and the chain went all over the place. I call BMW roadside assistance and had the scooter sent to the dealer. The dealer needs to get authorization from mother BMW to open the engine and see what damage the chain may have done. It may take up to three weeks or more to fix. It all started when i was hearing a clickety clack when I came to a idle, not to loud but noisy, then it got real loud then bam so I turned the key off and called the tow truck. Well now I have some time to ride my new BMW GS1200 water cooled bike, the scooter was stealing the show when it came to GS.

IBKING flatpic

Care to expand on how the scoot could could keep you off the wethead GS?

Care to expand on how the scoot could could keep you off the wethead GS?

Yes, I'm a heavy lane splitter and the scooter does it O' so good.

The dealer tells me two valves are bent also, so i'll just hurry up and wait.

well, still in the shop waiting for parts, going on 5 weeks. the price to pay to be first on the block.

Out of curiosity did they offer a loaner, I would at the very least get bmw to extend the warrenty for the time they had the bike

Out of curiosity did they offer a loaner, I would at the very least get bmw to extend the warrenty for the time they had the bike

Yes Pilot I'll get the extended warranty and no loaner.
I was talking to one of the mechanics and he said there's a cracked piston and he is thinking "new engine", will see. It looks like another three weeks.:mad

Holy cow! So, is this a problem that has been fixed by an updated assembly or part, or was this one bad part? Me thinks I would get an extended service plan if I bought one of these, which I've wanted to do.

What? How does a chain tensioner problem become a cracked piston?!

Simple: The chian gets loose then jumps off the camshaft the valves stop moving and the piston slams into the valve thats open. I have two bent valves and one cracked piston. So, if your engine is starting to get louder when idling and is doing a loud clickety clack, get to your dealer and have them check it out. you been warned.

IBKING

When you said "chain" my mind lept to the drive chain, not the timing chain. That's obviously a much bigger deal and makes me re-think riding mine until I get a similar noise looked at (see separate thread). The last thing I want is to have the chain slip and booger up the valves and/or piston!

Thanks for the info and warning. So much for my weekend plans.

When you said "chain" my mind lept to the drive chain, not the timing chain. That's obviously a much bigger deal and makes me re-think riding mine until I get a similar noise looked at (see separate thread). The last thing I want is to have the chain slip and booger up the valves and/or piston!

Exactly - same thing I was thinking.

Check this out overseas, http://bmwmaxiscooter.forumfree.it/?t=66784854 google will translate it

Back