• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Apparently My Superhero Skill Is the Ability to Make It Rain in West Virginia

The rain here in the mountains has been almost every day this year. Even though the weather forecast changes frequently, it is still pretty much meaningless. The rain chance changes from mountain to mountain and valley to valley. I rode 50 miles the other day and went from rain to a dry road and back 3 or 4 times. We just prepare and ride.

One of my top three best ever rides was an all day ride on the BRP in constant rain. No traffic. Great traction. First time I ever scuffed the pegs on my Honda CB400T and I found it totally drama free but a whole lot of fun.

Stay home when it rains and you will miss a lot of great riding.

This past week, had I stayed home instead of riding through a rain, I would have missed a terrific time at the Aerostich Very Boring Rally 3. I remember in Nate Silver's book, "The Signal and the Noise", the further out the weather forecast, the less reliable it is. Although I didn't need the book to tell me that. :)

Rain

Your luck with rain sounds about like mine. I have been through Shelby, NC on the motorcycle three times and each time it has rained.

Every motorcycle touring trip I have been on, with one exception, it has rained. Usually it rains on the first day my friends and I start out from our meeting place in Hillsborough, NC. We don't pack rain suits just in case, "it will rain," we pack them for "when it will inevitably rain."

In fact, we had so much rain at the Burlington, VT rally a few years ago, that I had customized polo shirts made for us with a picture of a motorcycle and a black cloud over it, drizzling rain and the caption says, "Rain Riders."

At least we don't get as much rain as Europe. They have two rainy months, April and November. When I was stationed in Germany with with the Seventh Army, it rained 18 days and nights without ceasing in April, 1964. I thought we should perhaps build an ark.

I commend the folks who live in the mountains or in Seattle.

Bill

All rides are good......

Just some are better than others
- a rainy day is an opportunity to explore your riding skill and ability - to ride with a little fear in order to get comfortable with being a little uncomfortable. To use the day as a way to look at your riding through new eyes.

Some of my most memorable rides have been in 'interesting' weather - I look back and smile.

Another thing I learned, take the time to put on the rain gear prior to getting soaked, stay way more comfortable that way. Also in the rain, I'll forgo the tent camping and go with a budget motel to dry things out. The sun will always be out tomorrow or some such thing. There are times I really enjoy riding in the rain, way fewer Harleys are out on the road. I did the Dragon on the way to the RA Rally on a rainy and overcast day and had it almost to myself. I was so popular, there were photographers waiting to snap my photo on some of the turns.

I must be goofy. I like riding in the rain. I don't push it much, I just ride. Spent 3 days riding around the Dragon last week in the rain. Everyone had a great time and the traffic was light. Don't let the rain stop you from enjoying the ride.
Jeff

Indeed- don't get the worries about being uncomfortable in the rain especially in summer, especially if you're not camping. Packing up wet camping gear is about the only thing I don't like to do. If you've decent rain gear you'll be totally dry and bikes do better in the wet than many cages- very little worry about hydroplaning, for example.
As racers know, the average lap speed on tracks in the wet is only about 7 mph less than an ideal dry track.

I'm not going to spend it being uncomfortable

I get it and understand - wish you the best - but it is what it is - the now is your current reality - making the best of the situation make a 'interesting time' more enjoyable.

I remember a time in N. PA in a storm riding with my youngest son - after hours of hard driving rain, we stopped for coffee and a break in a MDonalds - by the time we left, there was a 10 circle of water around our table. The image and situation was hilarious to us and we still comment on it.

But I do hope your next time out is sunshine and pleasant temps. Ride safe.

This summer if you live in the Appalachians you pretty much have to ride in the rain. The few nice days are reserved for catching up on mowing!

We're running way over our typical annual rainfall here in NC and most of that overage has been in the past 8-10 weeks.
Today its sunny but we are sure paying for the sun with humidity..I prefer the rain, at least its cooler..

Back