• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I need the down and dirty

ultracyclist

Today I got wind of a 1997 F650 ST "Strada" in my area with 5830 miles on the clock. I called the owner and the reason he is selling is that his wife no longer wants to ride the motorcycle.

We have here a garage queen with a relatively new rear tire (previous tire attracted a nail) and the original front. The seller, the original owner, wants $3K. KBB is $2315. Although the bike appears to be in really good shape, the fur is standing up on the back of my neck. Owner maintains that oil has been changed every year and there is a new battery.

This bike has carbs. I can only imagine what is in them. There is some discoloration on the various rubber hoses. I plan on a test ride next weekend.

What else should I be on the lookout for in a 16 year old F650?

Ride safe, TIA,
Howard

Perhaps a better price? There are lots of them out there & the $ isn't that remarkable & many MC's are in fact , garage queens so look about some. Unless you only shop close at hand you'll find lots more & some for less. The carbs are not likely a big deal & the tire is not much of an expense.

About $2.5K is about right if it is in good shape. There are many out there available. I'm not a fan of the single-clylinders of that vintage.

Need to correct

It is an F650 ST.

@classic VW: Why do you not like single cylinders of that vintage?

Are carb rebuilds on that bike more or less painful that others? The local dealer tells me that the older carbs are more time consuming on the re-builds that the newer ones. Why would that be? :scratch

It is an F650 ST.

@classic VW: Why do you not like single cylinders of that vintage?

Are carb rebuilds on that bike more or less painful that others? The local dealer tells me that the older carbs are more time consuming on the re-builds that the newer ones. Why would that be? :scratch

Just my opinion that it's not enough bike or engine for how I want to ride. I think the single cylinder works too hard.

Makes me think of the many single cylinder bikes out there that are so popular by Honda-xl/xr 650/Kawa KLR 650/Suzuki whatever and of course,BMW producing them since late 90's.And all the smaller ones also.I guess something is making them popular.

Just my opinion that it's not enough bike or engine for how I want to ride. I think the single cylinder works too hard.

Notice I began with "Just my opinion..." There are many reasons one may like or dislike a certain bike. I guess that's why there are literally hundreds of choices in bikes. Most single-cylinders are just not for me. Especially ones that I tried and feel the engine is trying to do too much, and I hate vibrations in the bars and pegs.

Voni and I each had a '97 F650 Funduro. Mechanically the same except chain drive instead of the CS's belt drive. Cosmetically a bit different. Our Funduros were as trouble free as any bikes we ever owned.

It will cruise all day up to 80, but it is "busy" at that speed. We took ours to Alaska and back - no issues.

My wife's first BMW was a 97 F650 ST. It had the factory lowering kit and she really loved that bike. She rode it from Alabama to the MOA rally in Missoula Montana and back. We sold it to a girl who lived in Alaska and her dad rode her down here in AL to pick it up. She sat on the bike and tears came to her eyes she was so happy that her feet hit the ground. We replaced that bike with a 2003 F650CS which is more powerful with fuel injection and I can't get her to ride it. It has less than 4 thousand miles on it. She just misses her old bike.
Jim in Alabama

Jim, what seems to be the issue with the CS? I have an '04, and couldn't be more comfortable on it. Does your wife feel it's a bit tall for her? If so, I might be able to help with that - I have lowering links and a short sidestand I'd be happy to send you. PM me if you like.

Cheryl

Switched to a single F650 CS

My wife's first BMW was a 97 F650 ST. It had the factory lowering kit and she really loved that bike. She rode it from Alabama to the MOA rally in Missoula Montana and back. We sold it to a girl who lived in Alaska and her dad rode her down here in AL to pick it up. She sat on the bike and tears came to her eyes she was so happy that her feet hit the ground. We replaced that bike with a 2003 F650CS which is more powerful with fuel injection and I can't get her to ride it. It has less than 4 thousand miles on it. She just misses her old bike.
Jim in Alabama

I live in Fort Walton Beach Florida, just picked up a low mileage F650 CS. I have owned several older BMW's and other motorcycles. Went with the single pumper because after 46 years of riding wanted a simple and light weight bike.

I rode one home from the dealer for a friend the other day. I think it was a '97 GS. It was fun. I wouldn't mind one, at all, along with my other Beemers.

Back