• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin Express Map Update (Again)

Garmin Express doesn't give that option. I forgot that I then have to download Garmin Updater and use it to install the update to the computer. The amazing thing is that rather than fix this glaring bug, Garmin just has its tech support people provide a work around to it.

Yes it does. It is non-intuitive though. I believe Express has to error out on map install or "not fit" in the GPS memory before it asks if you want to install maps to an alternative location.

Actually I find the easiest way to install a new map set is to get the alternative install prompt to install everything on the computer only first, so you can see the latest mapset in Basecamp on the computer. Then connect the GPS to the computer so BaseCamp sees it as a device, and right click the GPS in BaseCamp and "install maps" to the GPS.

Just 2 weeks ago I bought the lifetime map updates for our 2 year old Zumo 220. Got it from Amazon for not much more than Garmin wanted for a one time update. Of course I got the message that the update wouldn't fit on the GPS (and I only had a 2 GB card added to it also) so I was happy to install just the "lower 49" and all was fine but using Garmin Express it was only installed to the GPS and not BaseCamp. The advanced settings of Express show an option to install to a computer but it wouldn't. It had installed 2014.1 to the GPS. So yesterday I reinstalled map updater and installed the update to the PC with no problem except now the computer has 2014.2 so I'll install 2014.2 to the GPS later. Funny thing is that Express says there is no update for the GPS. :scratch

There has been a fair amount of conversation about Garmin Express on ZumoForums -- http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php

Garmin pushes you to Garmin Express for map updates from their website but it doesn't work well. Garmin MapUpdater works much better. MapUpdater is less prone to crashing, offers the option to install the mapset to both the computer and GPS in all cases, and is less likely to cause corruption of the downloaded map files.

For Windows:
http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe

For Mac OS X:
http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.dmg

My understanding is that Garmin Express isn't approved for OEM-branded GPSes (BMW or H-D) and shouldn't be used with those units in any case.

When I contacted Garmin support earlier in the year concerning a Garmin Express map install issue, the tech suggested I download and hang on to MapUpdater in case it is no longer available at some point.

When uninstalling Garmin Express watch out for any trash it leaves behind including partially downloaded map updates.

-Jim

Agree on the mapupdater software. Just because it says it the newest update does not mean there is major additions or modifications to "ROADS" and streets. Most updates are to things like hotels, gas stations and restaurants. The overwhelming number of roads don't change at all. The bulk of new roads are in subdivisions. So think about what you want. If you are running back roads to do "sport touring" you really don't gain that much. In my experience every time I do a major upgrade, my Zumo starts having issues. It NEVER "just replaces" the old map with a new one. It has to screw something up in the process and make me play with it for a couple days (and a couple calls to Garmin) before I straighten out the problem (which usually is a Garmin software issue).

Commentary: It used be you could get people who actually knew how the software and maps interacted in MapSource/BaseCamp and your device. Those days are GONE!!!!. Now the tech looks in his database. If, and that's a real big if, they understand what you are telling them there is a small chance you will get an answer ---- if it is in the database. Getting to their second tier is not easy anymore.

Just 2 weeks ago I bought the lifetime map updates for our 2 year old Zumo 220. Got it from Amazon for not much more than Garmin wanted for a one time update. Of course I got the message that the update wouldn't fit on the GPS (and I only had a 2 GB card added to it also) so I was happy to install just the "lower 49" and all was fine but using Garmin Express it was only installed to the GPS and not BaseCamp. The advanced settings of Express show an option to install to a computer but it wouldn't. It had installed 2014.1 to the GPS. So yesterday I reinstalled map updater and installed the update to the PC with no problem except now the computer has 2014.2 so I'll install 2014.2 to the GPS later. Funny thing is that Express says there is no update for the GPS. :scratch

Did you go to the garmin site and activate the card, and also assign it to the GPS unit?

Did you go to the garmin site and activate the card, and also assign it to the GPS unit?

Yep, did that the day I got it. Activated it and then followed the directions that Garmin sent. It shows my Zumo and the update card. It let me update the map in the GPS and now map updater lets me updated the computer too. Express will only let me update the GPS.

It is a cool system thought that you activate the card and then plug in the GPS and it pairs the two on your myGarmin if you have an account.

Back