• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Alaska, Top of the World;

Polarbear

Polarbear
I finally made my adventure happen to Arctic Ocean on GA1200'07. She is at 108000m now and purring as new:). This ride was harsh on bike, as conditions up their in the far north are such. This is leaving Pruhdoe Bay in the morning hours, 50+ mph winds and rain just south of me. It lasted for half of the day riding south to Fairbank. A 14 hour ride. Most riders stop at Coldfoot, midway and rest for the night. Night does not happen up here, stay daylight, therefore I came to do what I do, RIDE:). I did it north and south, rode straight thru. I took many breaks. My overnight was at the Pruhdoe Bay Inn, arriving there at 1130PM.. Still full daylight. The rooms there are nice, I had NO reservation and 150$ gets you a room and 24 hour cafeteria, food(all meals) included with room and its GOOD chow:). Reserves are neat idea if youre so inclined, BUT you don't know the conditions of road going in and even if youre going to make it!!! They got me into a room, no issues. I rode north in 13 hours and south in a tad longer 14 hours, worse conditions in more rain. Fairbanks takes their carwashes serious, with HOT water power washes for what they drive in regularly. YOU'LL need it once back in Fairbanks. Get over the power wash fear thing you may have been told all you biker life. Your bike will look as if a cement truck dumped its load right on top of it!!! Car wash required:). My riding gear too. I wont go back, but found the adventure very inspiring and a must see. I WILL go back and do the Dempster Hwy in NWT Canada. Then I will be done with my Arctic rides for now. Goose Bay becons in years to come, Labrador Canada. Randy

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 116
Add this;

The pic above shows a clean GSA by comparison to what it looked like back in Fairbanks. The stickers were totally covered in mud! AND, the rest of bike had mud in every nook, cranny it could find. The Fairbanks car wash got the majority off the bike, but I found a weeks worth of cleaning once home to bring the bike back to normal. A big chore. If adventure is in your blood, this ride is a must do one. From what Ive read and heard, the Dempster Hwy is the better of the two rides and still on my list. Research the two and you may pic one or even both. I found riders from all the world doing the Dalton, right alongside me in many parts of the ride and they come to do this. A worldly adventure:). The Dempster Hwy has a real township at its end, Inuvik,NWT which supports its people with all the amenities of any town. Deadhorse is the opposite, a real oil industrial area, with nothing else. Of course the Arctic Ocean and much wildlife.

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 121
Back