• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How to compression test R60 & R75

katcon85

Sorry, but I haven't done a compression test in a zillion years, and that was on my old TR6. I tried a search but couldn't find anything....

I have a 74 R60/6 with dyna electronic ignition. Do I have to ground the plug wires? Or do I just screw in the tester and turn the engine over with the starter button?
and I'm going to look at a 74 R75/6 with points- same question: what is the procedure, do I have to ground the plug wires?
Thanks so much-
Kat

Yes, I think it would be the best thing to pull the plugs, stick them back into the cap, and securely ground the plug threads to the engine. You should also pull the carbs or at a minimum prop open the slide and/or butterfly on the CV carbs. Not that difficult to just pull the carbs. Engine should have been warmed up.

I have a gage with a rubber tip so I just stick in the hole and hold it while I crank the starter. But if you have a screw in adapter, just screw it in...finger tight is probably good enough.

Make one of these with a good used plug. Throw it in your tool box. Comes in handy for testing, tuning and compression testing.

P1010966.jpg

In situ:

P1010968.jpg

Remove the carbs from the heads for the best test. Or at least hold the throttle plates wide open. If air can't get in, it can't be compressed.

Back