• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Cheese Stands Alone

tommcgee

Unfunded content provider
I've read a number of books over the years where the characters are in a situation of no refrigeration and they are carrying cheese for food. What kind of cheese will survive that condition and be palatable?

Almost all of the cheeses in Europe. My French wife calls our cheese "plastic" cheese.

Ken

I've read a number of books over the years where the characters are in a situation of no refrigeration and they are carrying cheese for food. What kind of cheese will survive that condition and be palatable?

Pretty much any cheese you associate with Italy, Romano, Parmesan, etc.... Just keep it covered. US cheeses are typically a variant of cheddar and really young. If they were allowed to age, they would get harder and drier.......like the old sharp cheddar (aged 8+ yrs) that would approach Parmesan in texture.

What does the French wife think of USA white square bread?:lurk My hillbilly wife,being unlike her brethren eats "real bread"-the kind you have to bite/tear off...
FWIW,there are many very good "American " cheeses & they are not called "American" by name. We have a couple made here in KY(near Bowling Green,KY) & also NY state & WI in particular have many more. Fresh Market has a few of these as does Whole Foods. Even wally world sells VT Cabots cheese which comes in an aged version.
How long do you intend to carry around your cheese?:scratch My bologna sandwiches (with sliced cheddar/swiss) used to survive 135 degrees in a lunchbox @ the Goodyear tire plant...

Good cheese can last weeks

But, you do occasionally have to cut off the hard or moldy looking outer part before you eat it. Whats inside is still good. I've made some ocean sailing passages of two weeks and more and learned that cheese and eggs can last a long time if taken care of properly. Hard cheese kept in the coolest place possible, the bilge on a boat works. On my rs, rear rack, I would carry a small cooler bag with some cold cans of beer; that works for a while or until you buy some more cold beer.

DW

Real cheese has no place in the refrigerator. Our cheese sits on the countertop -even in the summer - in a dedicated cheese dish (like an oversized butter dish). Best cheese to carry on the road is Gouda. It gets better as it ages and dries.

I thought cheese came in little pie-shaped pieces wrapped in foil...? Maybe not all, but it's a good way to carry cheese that will not go bad in our lifetime. Gruyere, I think. Used to take it canoe camping.

Velveeta and spray cheese are actually labeled "cheese food product", whatever that means. Maybe the FDA or Dept of Ag knows but probably not.

Nothing beats a chunk of good, well-aged cheddar and an apple for lunch.
pete

What does the French wife think of USA white square bread?

She doesn't really eat much bread, though she eats our "square bread" for breakfast, toasted with jam!
In France, they actually have "square bread" also, which I've only seen eaten for breakfast with butter & jam, however
it is a sweeter variety than our sandwich bread. Square fits in the toaster better :)

Ken

In Vermont I bought some "Seriously Sharp" cheddar.
When I got it home and tried it, it was seriously mild.
Currently my favourite sharp cheddar is 3 year old Empire from Campbellford, Ontario.

In Vermont I bought some "Seriously Sharp" cheddar.
When I got it home and tried it, it was seriously mild.
Currently my favourite sharp cheddar is 3 year old Empire from Campbellford, Ontario.

When I was a kid, my father would always buy "Sharp" cheese at the butcher shop that was cut from a large round with a black wax coating. When cut thin, 1/8-inch or so, the stuff would crumble and the color was a translucent white. The taste was definitely sharp and dry.

What I see today as sharp cheddar seems to be very mild.

.............................. Best cheese to carry on the road is Gouda. It gets better as it ages and dries.

I lika gouda cheees.............................................pun intended

Been to a few cheese curing cellars in Europe and there was NO refrigeration in sight. Find a small family run Italian or other European ethnic deli, they have the best stuff.

I do like a good cheddar too, and agree that the term "sharp" has been diluted just like the major American, yellow fizz water they sell as beer.

Look for or order Cuba cheese, there 3 years reserve is as sharp a cheddar that I remember eating in many years. If you like a velvety smooth, but tasty cheddar try their sharp or extra sharp cheddar, it has spoiled me for any other cheddar, including the New England, and Canadian cheeses'

Cuba Cheese: http://www.cubacheese.com/

I lika gouda cheees.............................................pun intended

:)This only works if you mispronounce "Gouda", like everybody in the U.S. does. The cheese is named after the Dutch city of Gouda and the "ou" is pronounced like in "loud", not like in "mood"

Worlds largest wheel of cheese at the time. The normal stuff, and all of it along with the wine and meat curing on the sealing.

Attachments

• P1010284_1094x821.jpg
    P1010284_1094x821.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 51
  • P1010288_1094x821.jpg
    P1010288_1094x821.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 51
  • P1010285_1094x821.jpg
    P1010285_1094x821.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 52
From sublime to ridiculous

cambozola.jpg