• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

yesterday's trip

Had to leave Wisconsin and go to Iowa to buy a used car...how to go, truck or bike? Well, since there are few things I hate more than putting gas in the Dakota, the wife and I took the bike-76 900.

The whole trip ended up being 533 miles and reaffirmed and revealed some things to me.

1. I don't care how much you like riding, putting on a helmet for an extended period of time when the temperature is above 90 is no fun at all. Not only that, one isn't even presentable for anything but gas stops and fast food. The heavy protective jacket wasn't much better. I know, I'd be much less presentable had I fallen without them. Anybody ever try the Arai CT-Z touring helmet?

2. My, how I've come a long ways in dealing with traffic, heavy, truck laden interstate traffic. When I first got this bike, driving 55 on a local 2 lane, albeit, a busy one, left me wondering if I was going to be able to drive this bike any distance at all. Now I'm zipping along 70-75 without being unduly concerned at all. Experience and a different brand of tires have made a world of difference.

3. Took the time to really determine what I got for mileage, with the wife on back, it was 40mpg driving mostly interstate. Not bad, but when or if I end up buying a modern bike, better mileage will be a big reason why. Those new Hondas are a big step in the right direction on that front. My Geo will do considerably better than this, but I realize that mpg wasn't a major concern back when this bike was conceived.

4. I violated my cardinal rule of driving at night, the only good thing I could say about that is that it was considerably more comfortable. The stock lights are woefully inadequate in my estimation and to diminish this disadvantage, I ended up having my wife following fairly closely behind with her brights on which was a big help.

5. I do love how in synch one feels with the bike after being in the saddle so long.

6. They may be expensive and time consuming to obtain, but Day Long seats are worth every penny.

7. Wish I had the big gas tank!

Chuck

Had to leave Wisconsin and go to Iowa to buy a used car...how to go, truck or bike? Well, since there are few things I hate more than putting gas in the Dakota, the wife and I took the bike-76 900.

The whole trip ended up being 533 miles and reaffirmed and revealed some things to me.

1. I don't care how much you like riding, putting on a helmet for an extended period of time when the temperature is above 90 is no fun at all. Not only that, one isn't even presentable for anything but gas stops and fast food. The heavy protective jacket wasn't much better. I know, I'd be much less presentable had I fallen without them. Anybody ever try the Arai CT-Z touring helmet?

Chuck

I beg to differ. Unless you don't ride, the best way to fight the heat is wearing a helemt. The bare head in the wind fools you into thinking it cools you down, but the sun beats relentlessly on your skull and cooks your brain inside.
At the end of the day, the heat and the wind noise have totally worn you down and you feel like crap. The jacket is similar. A good jacket- even a heavy one - should be well ventilated and will actually keep you protected not only from the road, but also from the heat.

I beg to differ. Unless you don't ride, the best way to fight the heat is wearing a helemt. The bare head in the wind fools you into thinking it cools you down, but the sun beats relentlessly on your skull and cooks your brain inside.
At the end of the day, the heat and the wind noise have totally worn you down and you feel like crap. The jacket is similar. A good jacket- even a heavy one - should be well ventilated and will actually keep you protected not only from the road, but also from the heat.

I agree, rode a little over 1400 miles last weekend with a Tourmaster Transition jacket, riding pants and full face helmet. Yes I was warm when not moving in traffic but I was protected from the beating sun and the occasional rain shower. One of my riding buddies (on a HD) didn't fair as well even with sun screen on. Cover up, keep hydrated and ride.

It may be time for a tune-up. i never saw less than 50 mpg from my 90/6, and not unheard of to get into the low 60s (speeds typically below 60).

2. My, how I've come a long ways in dealing with traffic, heavy, truck laden interstate traffic. When I first got this bike, driving 55 on a local 2 lane, albeit, a busy one, left me wondering if I was going to be able to drive this bike any distance at all. Now I'm zipping along 70-75 without being unduly concerned at all. Experience and a different brand of tires have made a world of difference.

Chuck

Assuming the slab you were on is I-80 I can say that I won't travel on that beast without a cage at any time. Way too much traffic all jockeying for every open inch with massive wind blast, side winds and mindless tedium. I live on the NE side of it ani I hat the beast with passion.

Assuming the slab you were on is I-80 I can say that I won't travel on that beast without a cage at any time. Way too much traffic all jockeying for every open inch with massive wind blast, side winds and mindless tedium. I live on the NE side of it ani I hat the beast with passion.

Arthur,

You live in Nebraska with a population density of 24 people per sq. mile. Here in the east, we're at least 20 times higher.

It can be worse....... I-95 thru NYC or I-495 around DC within 2~3 hrs of rush hour

Arthur,

You live in Nebraska with a population density of 24 people per sq. mile. Here in the east, we're at least 20 times higher.

It can be worse....... I-95 thru NYC or I-495 around DC within 2~3 hrs of rush hour

You forget, EVERYTHING that needs moved across the country does so on I-80. Semis outnumber every other vehicle 3:1 and they are all governed to 72mph. Cagers weave in and out, left-lane-park, barely creep to pass ("why should I have to get off my cruise control?!?":banghead) and generally behave like jerks at all times.

Just because the east coast has more cars doesn't mean it's worse. When the major users of a roadway are commercial vehicles, all notions of logic and sense go out the door. Being on a MC doesn't mix with that group.

BTW, I have driven EVERY major highway in the nation in a commercial vehicle governed at 72 MPH and I do know what Peak Travel Period is like in most of them. Why do you think I hate the slab so much?

40 mpg actually sounds about right on an R90 to me. I recall my 76 R90 getting that, sometimes even a little less. 40 is about what my R100 gets as well, Airheads aren't noted for getting great mileage.
You may have had no alternative but too bad you couldn't have utilized 1 1/2 or two days and taken 2-lane roads. How did the new "used car" do? :D

I lived in Iowa for 9 years. Compared to AZ, the heat with gear on is easy in Iowa. When I am riding on the 202 and it's 114, I am wishing I was riding back in Iowa...Now, come December to February, it's a whole other story. :)

You forget, EVERYTHING that needs moved across the country does so on I-80. Semis outnumber every other vehicle 3:1 and they are all governed to 72mph. Cagers weave in and out, left-lane-park, barely creep to pass ("why should I have to get off my cruise control?!?":banghead) and generally behave like jerks at all times.

Just because the east coast has more cars doesn't mean it's worse. When the major users of a roadway are commercial vehicles, all notions of logic and sense go out the door. Being on a MC doesn't mix with that group.

BTW, I have driven EVERY major highway in the nation in a commercial vehicle governed at 72 MPH and I do know what Peak Travel Period is like in most of them. Why do you think I hate the slab so much?

Arthur,

For most all of my life, I've lived within 3-miles of I-80. NYC is 3.5hrs east. Cleveland is 3-hrs west. I think I have a pretty good feel for the truck traffic on I-80

Back