• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

In or out : pants and jacket cuffs

WalterK75

Just curious. Two questions. Hope I posted in the right spot.

1: Is there any particular reason why one would ride with their pants over the boots instead of tucked inside?
2: Same question for gloves and jacket cuffs.

I always have my pants outside the boots. i also wear Bohn body armour, so that goes inside.

With gloves, if it's raining, they go inside the sleeves, not raining, outside.

Hmmm thought that would be the other way around.

Yes Klim Traverse pants over gortex boots, mesh gloves under to allow airflow up the arm if it is not raining and leather gauntlet style over if it is raining.

Leave airflow to the arms and body to the jacket (mesh, or vent-zippers on sleeves) and wear gloves over sleeves all the time. Prevents anything from flying into the sleeves. Like a bee, for example.
Pants over boots, except for leather suit with tight pantlegs.

I always have my pants outside the boots. i also wear Bohn body armour, so that goes inside.

Ditto. In the rain it doesn't take much for water to run down your arm and into your glove if the glove is outside the sleeve. I don't care what kind of glove you have, your hand gets wet! :laugh

My mesh pants are always over my boots. As far as gloves in the rain it depends on the height of your handle bars. If your arms are level it doesn't make much difference. If your arms are raised up you would want the cuff on the outside. If your arms are lower than level you might want to tuck the glove cuff inside of your jacket sleeve. I never get any part of me wet when I'm riding in the rain.

For me, leather pants inside Sidi boots always and sleeves inside. On a related note, I often wonder how those fellas with the stretched out cruise pegs with jeans flapping around shoes/boots can keep winged critters from quickly exploring one's legs...... and beyond :eek - Bob

How can gloves reach my T-shirt? How do shorts and flip-flops ever meet? Do I gather that some of you ride in the rain? (Sorry. Guess I need to limit my exposure to Adventure Rider.)

Seriously, since water tends to run downhill, I think it is a good idea to have the pant cuffs over the boots. Just be sure the cuffs are secured tight to the boots to minimize the danger of one catching something when you need to put a foot down. With gloves and sleeves, the correct answer depends upon your arm position (as previously noted) and whether bees or rain are your main concern.

Just curious. Two questions. Hope I posted in the right spot.

1: Is there any particular reason why one would ride with their pants over the boots instead of tucked inside?
2: Same question for gloves and jacket cuffs.

Don't know about the rest of ya'll, but get one bee or wasp up your sleeve or your pants leg and you will never again wear the clothing on the outside. Never.

Pants over boots allow for some airflow up the leg when legs are extended to auxillary riding pegs/positions. Also, in heavy rain, feet stay much dryer than if pants were tucked in - water will weep its way down into the boot in a hurry if tucked in.

Gloves outside of sleeves always - allows greater motility of hands on controls, easier removal and keeps stinging insects (which usually cruise at handlebar level - not been an issue for the legs) out. If hot weather, jacket cuffs usually open up enough to allow liberal air flow. If colder or raining, gloves over sleeves seal out both the frigid air and the water.

Just how I do things - to each their own. :wave

I keep sleeves / pants tucked in, until it starts to rain. With the sleeves, I can get away with some light rain before water starts trickling into the gloves.

Always just wore pants outside boots, gloves over jacket sleeves...
Could rethink that glove/sleeve thing for rain tho... at least on my K1200 which offers absolutely zero arm/hand protection.

The BEST answer to this question depends upon YOUR gear, the weather, and the bike you ride.

With my current gear (Revit Sand suit, Held gloves, BMW Allround boots) there is NO WAY I could get the cuffs of the gloves over the jacket, but the jacket cuffs in their usual velcroed position are tight enough that a wasp would be hard put to find an opening. The cuffs of my pants are over the boots to keep rain from draining inside - and also because there is just not enough room in the boots for these pant cuffs. I DO try to Velcro them tightly to the boot, mostly to prevent a hang-up when dismounting the bike. I can see that bees and wasps might be an issue for "feet forward" riders with loose pants outside their boots.

Where rain goes when it hits your arms and legs can vary greatly from bike to bike. There is right answer to the OP question, but it is not universal. We each need to find it for our own varying gear, and sometimes varying bikes. A nice local rain-ride should help answer the questions.

Not me, but there are some who do.

Ha! Even with all the guys here who know everything?????

I believe BCKRider covered all the bases with his answer. What works for one person might not work for someone else. My wife wears her pants tucked in, so I decided to ask her to hopefully get an unbiased answer. I was wrong, she told me, "it's a girl thing."
For all you guys out there that wear them tucked in, I wouldn't worry to much about it; it's just one persons opinion. And, what does she know, she doesn't even ride a sport bike.

Personally, I think it all has to do with style. A Harley rider likes to wear a certain kind of outfit and sport riders like to wear their pants tucked in. I don't think it has anything to do with being a girl thing. I will say, I will never wear my pants tucked in again.

I never ride with my pants tucked into my boots. No reason to. Gloves go outside a light jackets sleeves, inside my heavier jackets that have an inner and outer cuff.

Back