• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Final drive vent

Can you help me understand?

Why did this just start up? It did't have the shroud before this summer. Why didn't it spew oil out before this? What changed?

With the shield in place now, has it done any oil spewing at all?

I don't know why it didn't spew oil this badly in the past. The final drive vent plug was always wet with oil and occasionally there would be enough that i'd get a few drips of oil on the tire. All i can think of is that this slow progression of oil leakage would eventually lower the amount of oil in the final drive so that it wouldn't spew out during prolong travel at highway speed. The most recent occurrences were just after i changed the final drive oil so it had the full level at the time.

Right now the bike is still in pieces so when i get it back together i'm hoping this solves my problem. Based on the number of folks that "never had this happen" I think i will be ok now that the baffle is in there.

Same thing happening to me.

1981 R100 RT spits oil out of the top vent on final drive. I get a little drool when putting around town and a sloppy mess when I run it faster. I've read this entire thread but this is my first BMW so some of the language is a littel new. The one thing I haven't cleared up is where to check my level and where to fill. Seems there have been some mixed messages out on the web. Waiting for my Clymer. Any help while I wait would be nice.

Welcome to the forum! Not sure where the fill point is on the '81 model...it's easy for me to check my /7...I open the fill hole and check to see that the oil is sitting essentially at the bottom of the hole where the threads start. It's also important to have the right grade of oil...80w90 strikes me as the proper weight...I'm not a fan of something like 80w140 or so.

You could drain the fluid and measure the amount that comes out. As long as that volume is what the manual states...my Haynes says is 350cc...then refill with 350 or possibly shoot for a little less since there's some trapped fluid.

Back