• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

pulling radio box 96 K1100LT

leftturn

How the hell do I get to the front windshield screws without pulling the radio box? Soo..How the hell do you pull the radio box. I am sure everyone is laughing because it is something simple. As for me, I am hating these engineers more each day. I read one place where a guy said..It's simple as long as you have three hands..I drilled a hole in each side of the radio cover to get at the screws so far. Next is a hammer. I think these engineers bred a lot of our computer geeks today.

...not sure what you are trying to do....remove the windshield, remove the left fairing cover, remove the radio mounting frame, or remove the plastic storage box that the radio mounts in?

I have a 95 K1100LT that looks a lot like yours (pictures in one of your other posts.). I think I can help you.

there are six screws that need to be taken out to get to the speakers. that cover.
there are two on the right side at the storage bucket and two by the radio.
The ones by the radio are covered by the plate that the radio sits in. I cant
see how to get at them. Did I make myself clear enough>?

There are several access holes (in the metal cover at the edge) - top, left, and bottom sides each have one. Push a small screwdriver or small hex wrench in the hole to release a spring latch. It will all make sense after it's out (how it works - not why they designed it that way!)

I don't see the three holes..sorry. I took a long skinny screwdriver and pushed them down these holes. I even looked into them with my otoscope and saw nothing. The radio does not need to come out to remove the entire box correct? And the box will come out and still leave the two screws in the bottom of the front windshield fairing..right? These engineers sure are different. Thanks for the help. ps. how far down are these clips. I see two holes on the left but that is it. They are like 1/2 moons?

radio box.jpg

There are several access holes (in the metal cover at the edge) - top, left, and bottom sides each have one. Push a small screwdriver or small hex wrench in the hole to release a spring latch. It will all make sense after it's out (how it works - not why they designed it that way!)

both bikes.jpg One has been very simple and dependable with no surprises for 10 years. One has'nt. Can you guess which is which??
Thanks for your help Keith.

Mike This K came from TN, but way east of you. I might take it back.

Last edited:
It's the small round holes (about 1/8" dia.). The latch is about 1-2" down. Once released, the radio mount can be lifted slightly. Once all three are released, you can then wiggle the entire plate out of the box....and then deal with all the wires....

Each "spring" is a brass piece of sheet metal shaped into a latch.

I'll post a picture of mine when I can later this evening.

Back