• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1971 R75/5: Pushrod tube replacement. Is this sealant ok to use?

jbf

I am about to do a pushrod tube replacement on my 1971 R75/5 with the SoCal airheads group.

I went to buy parts for the job and Irv Seaver BMW (orange county) mentioned they could no longer get Drei-Bond in stock. They said that they had the following available:

1216 SUZUKI SILICONE 120G Part Number: 99104-31160

Does anyone know if this sealant is ok to use? Is it tested/good/ok? I dont want to use this stuff and find out my engine leaks because of the silicone sealant material.

Hope you guys can help.

Haven't really heard of that. I've heard the following mentioned on the Airlist email list:

- Yamabond 4, Suzuki Bond 1207, Kawasaki Bond
- Permatex Ultra Gray (I just used on my /7 top end work)
- Driebond 1215

From some of the readings, it seemed like the 1216 product is something a gasket replacement item, like using it as a replacement for the oil pan gasket. So, maybe this is a product to use for the cylinder bases...it should never be used to replace a gasket where called for...it also is put on very thin.

I chose the Permatex because it was available at just about any auto parts store...recommended by Ted Porter.

Bob's BMW sold me the Ultra Grey as a replacement for DreiBond for my /7 cylinder resealing last weekend.

Back