• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire suggestions?

bobfately

So I'm at 5K miles on my C650GT (now with new and improved luggage rack!) and it looks like I might need tires sooner than later. What kind of mileage are folks getting on their bikes, and what tires would you suggest (if indeed there are options out there). TIA

I just jumped a set of Metzeler Feel Free's as they were the OEM rubber and I'm happy with them and Bike Bandit had a "sale". Whether I got a price or not is moot as I'm going to need tires eventually and this is not an easy tire (at 15") to source.
I did not hunt for anything else as I am liking the ride. I know I've beat the heck outta this but let me say it again. This "scooter" is 745 lbs., plus you and your gear. I also own an '07 RT and F8ST. Guess which one of the three is ridden most aggressive and frequently? (The GT!!) It's the CG I'm telling you, has made me fearless. If only I had this bike for the Sedalia National. (Shut up, Roy!)

I stayed with the Mezelers as well?

I got about 7000 before the front started cupping and replaced at 7400 when the tire I ordered came into my dealer. Handling was degraded. My back tire appeared to be okay at that time but within 1000 miles was cupping and handling poorly. I will change both out at the same time next time. I love my scooter as well.:brow. Feels much better now. My dealer had great prices on the tires I paid $350 for both installed :wave

Last edited:
I'm at 7,200 miles on my set of Metzler's and have a little cupping. There's 2/10" tread on front and 3/10" on the rear. I have a set of Michelin Power Pure (dual compound) on order and hope to get them mounted in the next couple of weeks.

These are the tires i was going to get when I replace my tires some day. Please keep us updated

OK, well I spoke too soon. The front Michelin Power Pure is on backorder until mid September and I'm pretty sure 2/10" won't last another 1000 miles. The dealer had the OEM Metzler's on hand so I went ahead and had them installed today. Looks like I'll be waiting another 7k miles for the Michelins but I'll get them ordered well before I need them this time. I know of at least one other C650 owner changing to the Michelins next month so I'm looking forward to his report!

What I have found is that the michelin tires is that they are under the sport category. I would also assume the Metzler tires are. My dealer had told me the tire compound is built for the city and people that ride throughout the year so the tires stick. I wish they would make a good touring tire. As for the dual compound, the center of the tire would be a harder compound. This is the area that gets worn first, how hard is this compound compared to the feelfree tire

Attachments

• michelin-scooter-comparision.pdf
    85.2 KB · Views: 23
What I have found is that the michelin tires is that they are under the sport category. I would also assume the Metzler tires are. My dealer had told me the tire compound is built for the city and people that ride throughout the year so the tires stick. I wish they would make a good touring tire. As for the dual compound, the center of the tire would be a harder compound. This is the area that gets worn first, how hard is this compound compared to the feelfree tire

I found a front tire that is the touring front tire. There is no back tire that matches that will fit.
This tire also comes in a p and s speed rating.

http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/michelin-city-grip-front-tire.html

Any new thoughts?

So it's been a few months - I'm about to hit 12K and it looks like the Pirelli's I put on at 6K are on their last legs (the front, at least). Has anyone tried that Michelin? Any other suggestions?

Back