• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'04 MOA Rally

In Canada it is a political statement ,first made famous by former Prime Minister Pierre Trudaeu who was french reallly.Roughly translated,it meant Fuddle Dudle.
Struth.I dont know why.

I've been to alot of rallies, none of them BMW rallies, thought I'd given up on them, but I'm new to the great NW and I was just starting to think '04 in Spokane was a good one to try, but after all I just read,( beer AND riding , the finger, dress scantily?), I'm starting to get a Surgis like impression, PEASE somebody explain to me how BMW riders are different!

The Beer doesnt come at the same time as the riding. If a few guys take pictures giving the finger, it doesnt mean that everyone does. You will find that the participants are very nice people for the most part. I would bet I could lay my wallet on my gas tank at a BMW rally,and the only reason it would disappear would be because someone too it to the lost and found. You have no worries about attending any BMW function. By the way, if you go to Sturgis now, you will see so many Dentists and Stock brokers posing as bikers you will laugh till you pee your pants. Sturgis is nothing like it used to be.

My experience of the beer at MOA rallies is that it is not the quantity but the quality:the folks in charge always seem to find a local perhaps exotic but very pleasing microbrewery to provide tasty beer as well as the usual canned stuff.The great Northwest has lots of those (microbreweries) so it is another thing to enjoy.
No I've never been to Sturgis during bike week,but I am certain the MOA rally atmosphere is quite different.
All things in moderation,I always say.Except fun,you can never have too much of that.
Camping near the bathroom just means you can see when there is no line up for the shower;it is not a comment on the food.:)

I wouldn't be too worried about an MOA rally turning into Sturgis. I think that I hear and see crazier things happening when I'm walking back to my apartment late at night through campus (Indiana University). Like someone said, beer comes after the days riding is done, the finger is an advrider.com thing, and as for the dress scantily, well, I think that someone was just joking about that. Come and join us in Spokane, it'll be a good time.

JULIE said:
I've been to alot of rallies, none of them BMW rallies, thought I'd given up on them, but I'm new to the great NW and I was just starting to think '04 in Spokane was a good one to try, but after all I just read,( beer AND riding , the finger, dress scantily?), I'm starting to get a Surgis like impression, PEASE somebody explain to me how BMW riders are different!

Scantily? I see most folks wearing shorts, but that's about it.

Everybody knows it ride - then beer. Besides, we want to help you get your bike on the centerstand!

:)

dave

Honestly, there's nothing to fear from the Beemer crowd. A national is just a great big family reunion, with family you didn't know you had. You'll find some of the friendliest folks at a rally. Yes, you will find an occasional exception to that, but very seldom. If you're concerned about not knowing anybody, then wander over to the volunteer tent and sign up for something. In fact, by signing up for a shift or two at the beer tent, you'll meet all sorts of people. We harass each other across the counter, poke fun, have fun, and meet folks.

Try volunteering for security, get to ride around in a golf cart for a while, or be a gofer, or........ If you go to a rally and don't have a pretty good time, then you're not trying hard enough. Handshakes and smiles are easy to come by, hugs and kisses are not that uncommon either. Skimpy dress is a personal choice, not a requisite. Go riding, spend money, meet people, eat drink, and be merry, for that's what it's all about. See ya there!

2004 Ralley

The ralley for 2004 is going to be in Spokane Washington a beautiful area of Washington State. I know I live in the Seattle area and have been to Spokane several times but never for anything as fun as a ralley. For me it will be a 4-5 hours stint but for some of you a much longer haul, but try to make it as it has some great riding areas and is very rural just a short ways away from the city, which in itself is not a large city but a comfortable friendly city.

See you there I hope

Phill Baber, CPA from Mercer Island, WA

JULIE said:

That's easy - most of our women have teeth.:D

Quote from Julie:

I'm starting to get a Surgis like impression, PEASE somebody explain to me how BMW riders are different!
------------------------------------------------

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned a key element that is found at most motorcycle gatherings but is missing from a BMW rally: NOISE! I can't recall hearing one set of loud pipes at Trenton or Charleston. What a relief! 3 years ago I went to Americade in Lake George, NY. I had a good time but had to wear my earplugs in bed to get any sleep. It's great to be around people who love to ride but don't feel the need to let everyone within half a mile know they're on the road.

Julie, If you go you'll meet some super folks and your ears won't be ringing at the end of the day (unless you're too close to the band in the beer tent)

Hope to see you there!

grant said:
Quote from Julie:

I'm starting to get a Surgis like impression, PEASE somebody explain to me how BMW riders are different!
------------------------------------------------

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned a key element that is found at most motorcycle gatherings but is missing from a BMW rally: NOISE! I can't recall hearing one set of loud pipes at Trenton or Charleston. What a relief! 3 years ago I went to Americade in Lake George, NY. I had a good time but had to wear my earplugs in bed to get any sleep. It's great to be around people who love to ride but don't feel the need to let everyone within half a mile know they're on the road.

Julie, If you go you'll meet some super folks and your ears won't be ringing at the end of the day (unless you're too close to the band in the beer tent)

Hope to see you there!

Went to the BMW/RA rally in Red River New Mexico. The only real noise was on Saturday AM when the local "V-twin"riders roared through town.

JULIE said:
:bliss

Juli-

BMW MOA rallies are VERY different than Sturgis. I know everybody mentioned beer and riding, but there's much more.
There are a wide assortment of vendors selling items you may have difficulty passing up. Last year in Charleston we had 116 vendors marketing things like protective clothing, accessories for your bike, items to help pack your bike for your trips, tee shirts and all kinds of cool doodads! We also offer approximately 50-75 seminars (several conducted by some of our women riders with information/suggestions of interest to both new and experienced riders. Some of the women's seminar topics are also of interest to men and are usually well attended by both., ie How to pick up a dropped bike. The seminar topics are as varied as the riders. Keep watching the website for a complete listing as we get closer to the rally.

Where Sturgis is an assault on your senses (sights and sounds!) BMW MOA National Rallies offer beer and bands (if you choose), but more importantly an opportunity to meet riders with a common interest (Beemers, camping and socializing).
Oh, and by the way....scantilly dressed is in someone's dreams ;)

Hope to see you there.

Karol Patzer
Director, BMW MOA

tjschaff said:
Went to the BMW/RA rally in Red River New Mexico. The only real noise was on Saturday AM when the local "V-twin"riders roared through town.
---
Interesting trivia about Red River (a BMWRA event, BTW) and BMW rallies in general. We heard the loud bikes that morning. That's what the town see every Memorial Weekend during a "Biker" event there. At the BMW rally on Wednesday most shops in town were closed because they knew a "biker" rally was in town. On Thursday over half the shops were open. By Friday word had gotten out among the locals and nearly ever shop in town was open, and doing business. They (the shop owners) said the "other" crowd just made noise and drank beer. They figured "we" would be no different. When not riding most of the BMW crowd was in town looking around and buying things, or eating at a local restaurant. As is usual after a BMW event leaves town, Red River would like to have us back. Trenton was larger than Red River, but small enough to want us. For my 2c, I wish we'd stay out of large towns. (Did you hear the ONE loud jerk riding around Charleston that Saturday? And everybody thinks that's "us".):dunno

JULIE said:

Hi Julie,

Don't give up and do give the MOA Rally a try, particularly since it is in your backyard. You will find in general the finest group of people at MOA rallies. Yes beer is available but I have yet to see it become problematic, more the kick back and relax type of atmosphere. I cannot tell you how many times I have been to a BMW rally (national or local) and have heard the locals say how nice BMW folks are. Many had initial fears when hearing of a "Motorcycle Rally" coming to their communities, but were pleasantly surprised to find out how "well behaved" we really are.

Gizmo said:
Hi Julie,

Don't give up and do give the MOA Rally a try, particularly since it is in your backyard.

Hi again Julie,

Let me second what Gizmo says. I wasn't too exited about the idea of a bmw rally but decided to go up to Trenton since it was only a 3 hr. ride from my home. Even then, I only went because I signed up for track day. I ended up having a much better time than I expected and now can't wait to ride all the way across the country...and there's not even a track day scheduled!

But beware, if you go you may get hooked like I did and end up planning your vacation time around the rally.

Grant
Rochester, NY

2004 Rally

My good friend and I are planning on riding to the rally from Charleston, SC. We want to take in the festivities in Cody on the way. Any suggestions as to routing?

This is the best forum ever!

Re: 2004 Rally

OLY said:
My good friend and I are planning on riding to the rally from Charleston, SC. We want to take in the festivities in Cody on the way. Any suggestions as to routing?

This is the best forum ever!
Wyoming is one of my favorite states even if the distances are extreme. I road west in August................... There are a few places you don't want to miss. The Big Horn Mts is one of them. There is a Medicine Wheel off of Alt 14 outside of Sheridan. It is pre-historic, the Crow were the earliest settlers in the area and even they don't know who built it. The wheel has been adopted by ALL american tribes and is sacred ground for their ceremonies and the 360 view is amazing.............................I don't know how much time you have, but a good route is from Ft Collins Co.. Go NW on 287 into Laramie. Laramie sucks but most of the ride is really good. Continue on 287 to Medicine Bows, I suggest you travel in the day and be aware of gas distances. The gem is 487 N through the Shirley Mts (keep your eyes open, I crested a hill going 85 and almost split an antelope), then go north to Casper ( or if you want to camp go south to Alcove Res.)...............At this point you can either hightail it up highway 25 to Sheridan or take the high plains road 20/26 N to Thermopolis where the dinosaurs are being excavated. The ride down to town is a canyon that follows a stream and there are signs telling you how old the exposed rock is. This is a good lunch stop and there is a dino museum...... ......................continue N to Greybull, go E on 14 into the Big Horn Mts. Also a good place to camp and the well water is SO GOOD it even taste great after a long hot day of being in a saddlebag. ........... Take Alt 14 to the Medicine Wheel. Then on to Cody. They have Rodeos in town every night in the summer.......................NEXT IS THE BEST PART. Go NW on 286 , this road is called Chief Joseph Scenic Hiway and it is Incredible! If I had had more time I would have turned around at Yellowstone and ridden it again! You'll want to go NE on 212 and ride the pass, then turn around, retrace 212 and follow to Cooke City before continuing into Yellowstone. Be on awares, this is where I saw a Grizzly Bear. This will be your best day of riding, the twistys and the views! ( Also if you find yourself in Red Lodge watch for the police, I had one pull me over and try to extort $135 for a 3 day old expired tag while I was in the proccess of moving.)

Back