• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'04 MOA Rally

We came down Hwy 2 from Sandpoint into Spokane so that is where I am thinking the long drive time. I knew that from Post Falls it was close to 1 hour of drive time with traffic and looking at the sites. Either way neat country and looking forward to seeing it again.

2004 Rally

Well I might as well jump in here too. I have been to quite a few rallies in the past , and Charleston was the first rally for me on a Bmw. I had a pretty good time there except for the weather and how spread out it was. I meant a few people there and never did see them after only talking to them once or twice. I hope this rally is a little closer together so you can enjoy meeting people a little more. Being so spread out is not to fun if you ask me. This will be my first time out to this part of the states. So if anyone has any pointers to help me out on this ride, feel free to send me info. I would greatly appreciate it. :brow ...

Kevin Frantz
Warsaw,Ind.
R100GS

2004 Rally

I guess I should have been more specific.. I have never been out to the Spokane area... duh.. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Hey Kevin welcome!!Look forward to seeing you in Tacoma.I am the svelte charming Canadian on the magenta R100RT.

My suggestion is that from Indiana,you give yourself 4 days to tacoma.Get lots of maps and pore over them.Everything else just falls into place.:wow

Thank you

Thanks for the welcome jgr 451. I have purchased a few maps to start the studying for the trip out west. I have a few friends that might try and make the trip out there with me and I really do hope they do. Sometimes it is nice to ride by yourself. You can ride as fast or slow , make tourist stops or stop long enough to gas up and go. I have not really rode with a lot of people before. I think they only ones I have rode with is my father and brother and thats as big as it gets. But again thank you for the info.. And hope to see you out there next summer.

Kevin Frantz
Warsaw,In.
R100GS

2004 BMW MOA National Rally ÔÇô Spokane, WA
Chapter Six ÔÇô Vicarious Winter Travel: Go Paperback
(see previous posts/pages for Chapters One - Five)

Bored with AAA maps? CanÔÇÖt stand the Interstate but not sure what routes you can take and still find gas, food and lodging? CanÔÇÖt tell the ÔÇ£fat redÔÇØ paved roads from the ÔÇ£skinny redÔÇØ improved gravel roads on the MapQuestOnUsTravelQuickly.ComNetInfo site? Is that whatÔÇÖs bothering you, Bucky?

Boy, it sure would help if there were a reference guide. One where the author thinks like, well, a motorcyclist. One that describes the routes, and mentions what you will find along the route. It would be great if it mentions all those little-known things, too ÔÇô the old hotel, the cheap diner, the place to stop for local color.

Wait a minute ÔÇô there is such a book!

Road Trip USA: Cross-Country Adventures on America's Two-Lane Highways by Jamie Jensen. Paperback, April 2002 (I believe this is the third edition). ItÔÇÖll set you back $25 or less.

Of course, donÔÇÖt believe everything you read. I used this book last year to ride Hwy 93 from Wells to Ely, NV. I planned on getting gas in Currie (pronounced as in ÔÇ£Madame CurrieÔÇØ). When we got there, there was no gas for sale. The whole town was for sale, but no gas. Oh well.

ThatÔÇÖs part of the fun, right?

Montana said:
Boy, it sure would help if there were a reference guide. One where the author thinks like, well, a motorcyclist. One that describes the routes, and mentions what you will find along the route. It would be great if it mentions all those little-known things, too ÔÇô the old hotel, the cheap diner, the place to stop for local color.
Another such book for Washington that may help in planning the trip to Spokane is the Destination Highway motorcycle guide. I have read through the British Columbia one, and these guys have done a great job. There's lots of detail, and the roads are ranked by how much fun they are on a motorcycle. :clap

I may have to get a copy myself before next year

3f78a830-0030a-05a64-400c254d

Start: Winnipeg, MB Canada

End: 404 N Havana St Spokane, WA 99202-4690 US

Distance: 2190.72 km
Total Estimated Time: 32 hours, 50 minutes

Driving Directions Distance

1. Go South on PROVINCIAL HIGHWAY 42 to PROVINCIAL HIGHWAY 75. 12.71 km

2. Go South on PROVINCIAL HIGHWAY 75 to the border of United States. 94.45 km

3. Go South on I-29 S to I-94 W/US-52. 246.07 km

4. Go West on I-94 W/US-52 to US-10. 9.66 km

5. Go West on US-10 to I-90 W. 955.43 km

6. Go West on I-90 W to ARGONNE RD. 865.49 km

7. Go North on ARGONNE RD to WA-290. 1.13 km

8. Go West on WA-290. 5.79 km

:clap

2003 Raley

It appears as if some folks would gripe if you hung them with a new rope. After I got my flat fixed I had a wonderful time (between showers)other than geting in and out of town the site was just right. But I am really looking forward to the 2005 raley in Las Vegas, I lived there for 25 years and can tell you it is a wonderful place to hold a raley.

CanadaDan, you can do better than that! I-90 across Montana? Boring until you hit the Alberton Gorge of the Clark Fork River.

I agree Montana,there is a little used road across southern Canada near the border called the Red Coat Trail.It would be a lot more fun than the slab(Canadadan)- unless your goal is to make time and try to avoid getting crushed by the 18 wheelers!

widebmw said:
Just a reminder that the "Las Vegas 2005" rally was a Joke.

I think it already has a following. It might be hard to kill now.

Maybe I'll start a rumor for 2006, too. How about the Cabot Trail?

MarkF

No Joke Miserable Mark
I think Nova Scotia would be dandy for 2006.
Now how about Winnipeg for 2007?!!:brow

Now your talking!

If the Canadians had their own MOA or RA national it would grab a huge chunk of the rally attendees from the USA. The roads and people of Canada are very motorcycle friendly. Go once and you'll go back again and again.

MarkF

Just a guess but I think 2005 will be in the mid-west.
As I remember, Oregon - East Canada - East US - Washington.
That only leaves one place to go, Kansas.

Re: Now your talking!

oilhed said:
If the Canadians had their own MOA or RA national it would grab a huge chunk of the rally attendees from the USA. The roads and people of Canada are very motorcycle friendly. Go once and you'll go back again and again.

MarkF

:D Now your'e talkin' Mark!!
Winnipeg 2007!!It is as midwestern as it gets,in a Northern sort of way.
Besides it is our turn!!

widebmw said:
Just a guess but I think 2005 will be in the mid-west.
As I remember, Oregon - East Canada - East US - Washington.
That only leaves one place to go, Kansas.

No.

396398-M-1.jpg

Not Kansas.

456737-M-1.jpg

Sorry, Voni.... :dunno

...This isn't Kansas!???
Dorothy to Toto.

Why not Kansas K!!Is it the tornadoes?The locust plagues?The heat?The empty flatness?Voni and Paul drive there all the time.Manitoba,there's the place.Grand Beach 60 miles north,the RIDING MOUNTAINS a bit further north than that...I would recommend the U of M as the rally site,right on Pembina Highway,direct shot up from the US border,80 miles or so.:bliss

From Dictionary.com:

flat:
adj. flat?Àter, flat?Àtest
Having a horizontal surface without a slope, tilt, or curvature.
Having a smooth, even, level surface: a skirt sewed with fine flat seams.
Having a relatively broad surface in relation to thickness or depth: a flat board. See Synonyms at level.
Stretched out or lying at full length along the ground; prone.
Free of qualification; absolute: a flat refusal.
Fixed; unvarying: a flat rate.
Lacking interest or excitement; dull: a flat scenario.

It's pretty in a subtle kind of way and the people are amazingly nice, but it's just not motorcycle country to me. When I was there, it was 105F! The Nevada desert on Rt. 50 was cooler!

Back