• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Removing spark plug problem

vachenleug

Wild Boar
Hello, I have an '02 1150 RT that I am trying to do a 12K service on. I have done this before and had no problems. The spark plug cover on the left side will not budge! The right side came off with a strong pull on the removal tool. I have been able to slightly rotate the cover but that did not help. I tried spraying some brake cleaner in the opening but, once again the cover stays in place. I think at this point the cover may be starting to tear at top of the cover due to the force put on it and the tool coming off when trying to remove the cover.
I can't seem to find any solutions on the forum.
At this point I cannot proceed further....any ideas how to get the cover off without damaging it?

Here is the way to remove that stuck plug cover...

I was able to remove the cover with repeated sprayings of brake cleaner. I shoved the wand down past the outer seal down close to the plug. I worked the cover back and forth....tried again and on the third attempt it came free.

Apply some spark plug boot grease to the inner surface of the boot next time. Its a form of silicone grease. It prevents the rubber boot from sticking to the spark plug.

If you have & / or can get a small hook tool ? slide it down along side the plug, turn the hook toward the plug, and very carefully get under the bottom edge, and work around it . Don't pull hard or at all really, just use the hook to break the seal, spray more lube...WD-40 and use the puller tool to remove.

Apply some spark plug boot grease to the inner surface of the boot next time. Its a form of silicone grease. It prevents the rubber boot from sticking to the spark plug.

I believe it's called, 'Die-electric grease'. It can be had in a small packet at most auto parts stores for $1.25
It will have enough in the 'squeeze packet' for a couple of jobs.
Don't forget some 'anti-seize' for the spark plug threads. Available in a small packet as well.

Terminology ...

"Cover" has "4-valve" or maybe "twin spark" on it.

"Boot" is on end of plug wire. It does way more than just cover.

Please indeed "forget" any goop on plug threads as it's prohibited by BMW and those that manufacture spark plugs

Thank you for the reply!

I have managed to get the plug wire off as I mentioned in a previous post. I will get the dielectric grease before I connect the plug wires. Ah, the human condition is that we learn by making mistakes.

Back