• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Wixom fairing 1975 R60/6

I see no info about where to mount Wixom Fairing to 1973 R75/5. I have the hardware (I think, there are some "arms" attached similar to photo found elsewhere on this site). I think the lower "twisted" arms mount to the back side of the lower triple clamp bolt. Does anyone know where the upper arm attaches? I found another post stating the "upper triple clamp", but I can't tell where exactly this point is supposed to be. It looks like maybe the top cap, but that seems to require another bracket that I do not have. I am considering buying 2 "S" fairing "supports" #46 63 1 240 625. Does anyone have a photo or idea about the actual mounting point/method for the upper brackets?

I found all of those photos after doing a search of old posts, but what I relly need to know is the points where the brackets are attached to the bike. I think the lower twisted bracket attaches to the rear of the lower triple bracket bolt. The upper bracket has a similar sixe bolt hole, but I am not sure how/where it attaches.

You may just want to find a pair of "universal" handlebar clamps; a lot of the "vintage" fairings used them.

I grabbed this shot on line. Google "motorcycle handle bar clamps" and you'll find a bunch. Finding something close to 22mm might be a challenge but 7/8" would probably be close enough for a clamp.

177977_H_SH355_MW400.jpg

edit -

Not a very big picture, but these are the ones that were usually supplied from the 60's - 70s. This particular pair has a hole cross-drilled, with a set screw in the end. I had an old Bates windshield that mounted with these.

images

OK thanks everyone, the Flanders is similar. I have the hardware in the photos. Any idea where it mounts to the top of the triple clamp? It will not attach to the fork cap as the bolt hole in the bracket is too small.

It was always pretty much catch-as-catch-can on mounting these fairings. The R90 "S" fairing bracket that goes under the top fork cap would be a clean way to go about it, but you're still going to need to persuade, or fabricate, the mounting struts to "connect the dots".

31421240651_1_N.jpg
MAXBMW offers them for like $7 ea. (31 42 1 240 651); you'd be hard pressed to make your own for less.

P070213_20010002.jpg

BTW, the shot above is not a "stock" top clamp.

The shot below is...
BMW%20R90S.jpg

Looking at those exploded-view drawings, it looks like the top mounting struts may have used the handlebar riser bolts (the blocks that mount the handlebars) to secure the struts. :dunno

The screen grabs below are from Repsycle BMW, and it is an R69, which had smaller diameter top caps, but it gives you the idea. This isn't rocket surgery, just good ol' shade tree wrenching.

662671-%2767-R69S-Black%2C-Wixom-Bags-%2526-Fairing-035.jpg
images

I see no info about where to mount Wixom Fairing to 1973 R75/5. I have the hardware (I think, there are some "arms" attached similar to photo found elsewhere on this site). I think the lower "twisted" arms mount to the back side of the lower triple clamp bolt. Does anyone know where the upper arm attaches? I found another post stating the "upper triple clamp", but I can't tell where exactly this point is supposed to be. It looks like maybe the top cap, but that seems to require another bracket that I do not have. I am considering buying 2 "S" fairing "supports" #46 63 1 240 625. Does anyone have a photo or idea about the actual mounting point/method for the upper brackets?
You're correct on the lower mounting point. I used these universal handle bar mounts. It requires drilling through the faring to mount the attachments to the faring. Real solid and easy on and off. Good luck.

Attachments

• Fairing001.jpg
    Fairing001.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Fairing004.jpg
    Fairing004.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 82
  • Fairing005.jpg
    Fairing005.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 83
Could the OP post some pictures of what he's got? I really don't like to drill those holes, but if there's no other way...I'd almost find someone who could "glass" in some of the brackets to work with.

thanks for the photos. I think the "S" bracket will work as it will attach under the fork cap. I have the exact same brackets as shown in the photos of Wixom fairing uninstaled. Just need an attachment point. I will not have to drill holes in the fairing or attach to handlebars with the adjustable fitting.

Thanks everyone.

I've ran some handlebar Wixom fairings in the past. I kinda like the batwing look. I think the 4 basic mounts works rather well for the mian fairing body. A problem you may run into is the upper fairing and windshield. It may want to tilt and lay back as you are pushing the air at highway speed. You may want to brace the windshield to stop this. Another problem is all the electrical hookups, connections, fuses, relays, headlights in the headlight bucket. The fairing almost allways has to be removed to get access thru the headlight lens and trim ring to service this stuff. Can be a pain in the a... sometimes having to remove this, do the fix and reinstall the fairing. Then you find out it ain't fixed and start the procedure over. Just something to consider. Good luck with your project.

Back