• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

76 R75/6 Plugs & Wires

cseltz

This might be an "Ask 10 people; get 10 opinions" question but I am going to replace the plugs and plug wires. I see the wires on E-Bay all the time. Any recommendations as to what to get?

Thanks,

Chip

IIRC, wire is just wire, but it should be stranded. A solid wire conductor can break in the middle making not work. Plus you want resistance free wire.

As for plugs, I think the popular plugs for Airheads are either Bosch or NGK.

This might be an "Ask 10 people; get 10 opinions" question but I am going to replace the plugs and plug wires. I see the wires on E-Bay all the time. Any recommendations as to what to get?

Thanks,

Chip

My 2 cents worth: I have had much better luck with NGK than Bosch. I bought my recent ones from AutoZone, around $1.30 each.

Are you thinking of purchasing "generic" wire? Let us know how things turn out.

I guess I had always figured that I would purchase from BMW dealer. Never thought of anything else.

Give Motorrad Elektric some business. He'll be supporting Airheads with products long after the chain auto parts stores if we keep him in business.

Wires and plugs on the bottom half of the page. Advice and parts I have received over the years have always been top notch.

http://www.motoelekt.com/ignition.htm

Barron

I agree with Barron. Rick Jones at Motorad spent a couple of hours on the phone with me (don't use the toll free number - he wants to be able to take orders) when I was fiddling with/ learning about my R100RT. ANYTHING electric I need, I'll buy from him, because I want him to continue to be there. He'll discuss pros and cons, etc. All I know for sure is that he knows more than I do (which isn't hard) and that everything I bought from him, and everything I did because he told me, works.

I did check out that website and am sorry I didn't do it a long time ago! From the pictures, it looks like I have the stock plug wires that came with the bike in 76. I will be ordering stuff from them including the book. Thanks for that link.

Chip

Back