• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100RS CeeBailey's Windshield Stress on Bracket

skotlyc

So I purchased a brand spanking new Cee Bailey's +7 windshield. Looks very cool except when I get to about 50MPH and up... Holy Bracket Stress Batman!!! The wind pushes the shield WAY too far down. Any suggestions out their to beef up the bracket? Right now I'm thinking of selling it and sticking with my Wudu.

Same with mine

I had a 2004 1150rs with stock shield and the taller CeeBailey shield. I noticed the same problem when I put the tall shield on and also buffeting from the wind was really bad. I put the stock shield back on which works for me just fine. Nice bike but too much technology for me; I sold it and went back to my old rs.

OH ! I don't know answer to your question. My solution was to take it off.

DW

I hated what the wind did with my '04 RS's stock shield, so I added some heat-shrink sleeving on to the adjuster stem (it comes out all the way if you go more counter-clockwise), plus a grommet in the hole that it sticks through, to reduce the slop & shaking. Helped only a little.
I hated that "mounting" method; a good wind would put me in another lane.
Dunno about the bracketry, tho, sorry.

Must be stronger wind in Indiana than Wisconsin. I've been riding my 94 RS with a Cee Bailey windshield for two seasons now and I've not noticed the wind pushing the shield back/down any amount that I'd be concerned about.

By why not change the windshield bracket (part that pivots) with one from a 2002 or later RS bracket. That gives you the extra two higher mount/support holes.

Must be stronger wind in Indiana than Wisconsin. I've been riding my 94 RS with a Cee Bailey windshield for two seasons now and I've not noticed the wind pushing the shield back/down any amount that I'd be concerned about.
This is my first full year riding after a break of 30+ years and during a 90 minute highway ride I couldn't take it. I used my clutch hand to push, what turns out to be a Cee Bailey +7" more erect and THEN I began to enjoy the ride. As is, the wind seems to be directed at my head (I'm 6' tall) and pushing the windshield gets it over my head. With the wind over my head it got so much quieter.
By why not change the windshield bracket (part that pivots) with one from a 2002 or later RS bracket. That gives you the extra two higher mount/support holes.

Please tell me the part. When i look at online microfiche I do see two different windshield mounts. One with an adjuster and one without. I suppose this is an obvious question but it didn't seem obvious when I was looking at the parts diagram. Do you know if I can reuse some parts or do I have to replace everything?

Thanks

I did this on my '96 R1100RSL when my friend...um...bent his '02 RS. The larger windshield and mount were undamaged. I found that the larger windshield helped wind management and protection a lot.

There were both adjustable and non-adjustable windshields for the 1100RS. The 1150RS, however, came only with the adjustable one.

The BMW parts fiche for the 1150RS high windshield is here. Part no. 11 mounts to the fairing's height adjuster, and is the same part as on the 1100RS bikes. Part no. 2 fits between part no. 11 and the windshield, and is unique to the 1150RS bikes. So all you need to make the conversion is the bigger BMW windshield, a part no. 11, and the two additional fasteners that hold the windshield to part no. 11.

So I purchased a brand spanking new Cee Bailey's +7 windshield. Looks very cool except when I get to about 50MPH and up... Holy Bracket Stress Batman!!! The wind pushes the shield WAY too far down. Any suggestions out their to beef up the bracket? Right now I'm thinking of selling it and sticking with my Wudu.

Black oxide fender washers behind the shield on the top two mounts. The R1150RS mount solves this problem.

I did this on my '96 R1100RSL when my friend...um...bent his '02 RS. The larger windshield and mount were undamaged. I found that the larger windshield helped wind management and protection a lot.

There were both adjustable and non-adjustable windshields for the 1100RS. The 1150RS, however, came only with the adjustable one.

The BMW parts fiche for the 1150RS high windshield is here. Part no. 11 mounts to the fairing's height adjuster, and is the same part as on the 1100RS bikes. Part no. 2 fits between part no. 11 and the windshield, and is unique to the 1150RS bikes. So all you need to make the conversion is the bigger BMW windshield, a part no. 11, and the two additional fasteners that hold the windshield to part no. 11.

Nothing cheap about BMW is there?

Back