• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

When camping on the road, what do you eat?

What is healthy?
What do you normally eat?
What do you want to eat on the road?
Practice
Experiment
Tools
Spices

My thoughts on healthy are everything in balance and moderation including balance and moderation.

There are some things I eat regularly and miss on the road. Over the years it is a balance between giving them up and experimenting to find ways to bring them along.

I enjoy exploring local foods in various forms when on an extended trip so eating out is often part of the plan. Buying local at farmer stands and markets is often part of the plan.

For me, good cooking on the road comes as the result of experimenting and practice at home. Like a recipe, figure out how to make it portable. In the off season I will use my travel cooking kit to cook a meal at home to try out new tools and how to make a meal idea with them.

Spices - Bag wine and a good selection of spices can make a survival on the road meal fine dining

I like junk food! :bottle

Maybe for lunch if I'm going to ride on after but definitely not for supper.
I like to sleep at night.

I tip my cap to you guys with the Jet Boil and the Mountain House.
I got my space blanket around here somewhere now where did I put it . . . . . . . . .

I usually like to keep it simple. 3 or 4 cans of soup and instant oatmeal in the tail trunk is my baseline. That covers dinner and breakfast if nothing else strikes my fancy that day. If I decide on a restaurant or something else then I have that option. I also carry breakfast bars, chips, nuts, cinnamon rolls, etc. I use a Coleman Apex dual fuel stove and small cook set to do the cooking duties.

Easy answer is that IF! my wife is along I/we eat like kings & if not, well, it's harder times!
Truthfully we do what many do when we camp & that's a combo of eat out vs. stay at camp & cook "good,real food" (not what drummerboy eats!) just like @ home & depending on how tired/timing & whats in the fridge.
If I'm traveling alone on MC I do roadside ala truckstop coffee (OXXO in Mexico) & a sweet roll/banana & lunch is peanuts & a cold pop with supper a sit down decent meal as situation affords. I've become far too lazy to bake tater's in the fire, beans & bacon in a skillet & all the traditional camping things of youth. It all boils down to your personal food standard & whats available & how capable(or lazy/not lazy) you happen to be. Thus, only the OP themself can answer this one:thumb
P.S. If you even have to ask you probably don't eat as good as I do!
E.G.: Last night's supper was: Peaches & cream corn picked yesterday(in the rain!), empanadas filled using fresh jalapenos & vidalia onions sauteed with chorizos sausage & fresh avocado slices & queso cheese grilled in olive oil with side of fresh salsa made with heirloom tomatoes,onions peppers & cilantro(no not the canned /cooked salsa-FRESH!) & guacamole with sour cream & corn chips & a cactus lime Michelob beer. All of which could be done while camping if you like-well the salsa might not be the fresh kind but the rest is easy enough campground food too.

Back