Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How do I keep a dry bottom?

I like the open fly idea but standing every so often won't work. How about a "ram air" setup? An air snorkle tucked up under the oil cooler connected to some flexible duct and piped right up to where it's needed in the horn of the drivers saddle. A simple flap to open and close it according to need and temperature. Sounds crazy eh??

yes
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Nickname: Droid
    Been there, doing that right now with my seat design which has the airflow hole right through the seat pan and foam. See the pic in my earlier post on this thread. I have it ducted to the front of the bike, where I installed an "air intake duct" (also known as the flat style attachment for the end of the shop vac hose). Thinking I'd get ALL KINDS OF RAM AIR FLOW right where I need/want it.

Well, surprise, surprise, the actual results of ram-air is far less than you'd think. Marginal at best, more like minimal. Last week after finishing up at the BMW shop (work there part time), on a hot day, feeling a bit "soggy", I hopped on my ducted-seat RS and when at 60mph I did feel a cooling breeze down under. But not as much as you think there would be.

On my RS, the intake duct is mounted to the bottom fairing lip just under the air intake to the oil cooler, right at the lower leading edge fo the fairing. I thought there has to be significant forced airflow there. But, I think the front tire/fender does a lot to inhibit direct airflow in that area. At one time I toyed with the idea of using a similar air intake duct at the front to the intake snout for the airbox. But the result of the ducted-seat tells me there would be no real gain in that idea, other than perhaps getting cooler intake air to the engine.

I keep trying to read this thread.
    But then I throw up in my mouth a little.
    Again.
    Please, make it stop.

You must be one of the lucky DVD, "Death Valley Drybutt" riders.

Try the Bead Seat

and let us know how that works. My in-laws here in Taiwan sleep on a bamboo mat over their mattress in the summer time and swear by it. They said it keep them cooler and they have been doing it for the past 75 years. People here also have them on their car seats to keep from having a wet bottom. I on the other hand turn on the A/C in the house and the car; the heck with sleeping on bamboo. I have seen them on some scooter seats here but I think its mostly to keep the hot sun off the seat and having to sit on a hot seat. Let us know if you try the Bead Seat and if it works.

DW
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    You must be one of the lucky DVD, "Death Valley Drybutt" riders.
    Nah, just playin' witcha. (sorta)
    May you find a solution, why not a seat made entirely of like cagey carbon fibre?
    Price range would be appropriate for a BMW I'll bet.
    I think one thing you identified is that it is not just the seat but what you are wearing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    I keep trying to read this thread.
    But then I throw up in my mouth a little.
    Again.
    Please, make it stop.
    Have you tried some Tums?
    Ride Well

Too harsh on the Soggy Bottom Boys?
    Will likely be my turn in the barrel soon enough and ya'all can point and laugh, OK?
    Heya Bud!!

Does this mean I'm out of the running for "Miss Congeniality"?
    OK just slap me.
    Last edited by wezul; 08-23-2013 at 02:14 PM.

central wisconsin along the wisconsin river
    Quote Originally Posted by r11rs94 View Post
    Beads, also work well in the rain. On cool days may be a little to cool.
    +1
    81 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    Too harsh on the Soggy Bottom Boys?
    Will likely be my turn in the barrel soon enough and ya'all can point and laugh, OK?
    Heya Bud!!

Does this mean I'm out of the running for "Miss Congeniality"?
    OK just slap me.
    "Larry" says Prilosec... git er dun! I do one every other day.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

"Hot damn! It's the Soggy Bottom Boys!"

Err.....not quite the right context, but funny.

I wish someone made a gel-grid seat cover. Like a bead-seat, but made from gel material. Of course, it'd have to be a higher density, but it may achieve the airflow of a beat-seat with the comfort of gel.

Here is another vote for the Ultimate BeadRider (UBR) and moisture wicking underwear. I ride in jeans, no "riding pants". Just got the UBR last week and after a 3+ hour ride yesterday in high 80's with 60-70% humidity I came home dry w/o the usual discomfort, that's a first.

Comfort of the beads is certainly a step up from the stock seat IMO.
    Last edited by liv2ride; 08-27-2013 at 05:34 AM.
    2012 R1200RT - Fluid Grey Metallic

It'll be later next season that I get to prove out my next seat design. It'll have a center groove, or valley. about 2" wide and 1.5" deep running the length of the rider's seat portion. The main shape of the seat will be the dished cradle style common to Sargent, Corbin, etc. Under the vynil I'll have gel pads for the "sitting bones" portion of the pelvic bone. Hopefully that will address the air gap/airflow issue, and sitting/compression issues. Vital too, is to get the seat dish "angle" just right to rotate the hips into the right position for sitting comfort.

That's my plan for my 07RT.

As far as the powder/antiperspirant approach, some years ago in this forum a very knowledgeable rider (Rob Nye) from the Northeast recommended a baby powder called Caldesene. I had tried Anti Monkey Butt & in my opinion it was nothing special & turned my underwear pink (how embarrassing). I tried the Caldesene & I am hooked. www.insightpharma.com

I find that the Caldesene (in the pink shake container) has an antiperspirant effect that lasts longer than one day even after a shower & is the best I've found bar none. I find it at Wallgreens in the Baby department, I'm sure other stores have it as well. This stuff is really good.

I've never heard of anyone coating their bottom with the antiperspirants made for underarms & I wonder how well that might do.

Some of the beauty clinics are advertising a laser procedure that cuts off the function of the armpit sweat glands called MiraDry. I don't know if they would consider or could zap your nether regions, who knows?

As far as seat material, I'd like to see someone try wicker, springy & airy.
    Last edited by amiles; 09-18-2013 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Added PS