• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for a facemask for sun protection....

scoobs

After getting a wee bit sunburned/ windburned on my last road trip I am curious to know if there are any lightweight facemasks out there that will help prevent my getting fried in the future. I'm thinking along the lines of an anti-flash balaclava type that the F1 racing drivers wear, but I wear glasses so fit/comfort may be an issue. High SPF sunscreen only lasts so long and doesn't prevent "windburn" - plus it tends to get rinsed off with the frequent afternoon rainstorms.
A tinted faceshield isn't really an option as I ride with it open most of the time.
Any suggestions welcome,
Ian.

AeroStitch to the rescue. All that synthetic stuff is well and good but silk is the real deal. Cool when you want to be cool, warm when you want to be warm. And thin so you don't notice it under your helmet. Hand washable so it's easy to keep clean.

Now if you just made one with a skull face on it. Not exactly what you would expect to see when a BMW rider flips up their faceshield
icon_wink.gif

1548.jpg

+1 on the silk balaclava. I have on an use it a lot. The other option is a simple bandanna. I have several from BMW RA, AMA and that I have picked up in my travels. Work great for shorter day jaunts and commuting.

My silk balaclava came from ebay via UK several years back & really does the trick! Face shield-how about a pair of safety glasses? I keep them in tank bag for hot days & raised helmet shield-bugs land hard, be careful out there!:laugh

Strongly recommend you use the face shield to protect eyes and face. It will cut out UV as well as wind, bugs and stones.

face shield use..

I wear glasses and have a big windscreen on my K75RT so the faceshield is somewhat of a hindrance- too many layers of plastic to look through. I do use it when riding in the rain/sleet/snow and while on my F650GS as the windshield doesn't give any protection. I've tried the "buff' neck sleeve thingy and it's not too bad, the Areostich balaclava only comes in navy blue and I'd have preferred something light coloured to reflect sunlight rather than absorb it..
Thanks for your concern regarding eye/face protection- I'm pretty much an ATGATT guy.
Cheers,
Ian.

Just remember to take it off when you go into the bank.

Like.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZXhipJjI4qg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back