• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

04 GS ADV couple questions.

josh00

Just bought last week 04 GS ADV, like it a lot so far. First question is, the high beam head light was not working at first thought it was burned out, but after taking it out and started to look around found a wire came on plugged. Works know, but the light is of one never seen before, the Clymer calls for a H1 bulb but its not, started to check around and found it is a high dollar one, don't know the size. The pictures show what it looks like, and don't know how to get the black wires out of the rubber boot it goes through, in the picture with out cutting it. So my questions are what type of bulb, how to get the wires through boot and can you change it to a H1. And also it has a one piece seat, can a two piece seat fit on it from other R1150GS. Thanks.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 62
The standard bulbs (low and high beam) in a R1150 GS Adventure are H1. I would know having replaced both last year.

I can't make much out from your pics, but it looks like someone installed an aftermarket kit of some kind...just a guess.

You're correct that it is an HID bulb. A picture is worth a thousand words so I'll just post an excellent link from advrider on how to convert from the OEM to HID and let you take your time to reverse engineer it. Shouldn't be a problem aside from the slightly larger hole that may have been drilled in the back of the plastic housing....you'll see what I mean. There will also be two ballast (if both lights were done) to take off.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388828

There are also several threads on that forum on the seat issue.

Thanks for the reply's & link, not sure if I will change it back. It is real bright at night. I was just skimming through the link and didn't see what the bulb size, would like to find the size just in case I would have to replace it. And if anyone knows if you can use the two piece seats on the bike, because the seat isn't the most comfortable, was thinking about getting a daylong for it, hopefully finding a used one, have one on the 04 Rt and like it a lot. Thanks

When I was putting the bulb back in the head light globe, it was a tight fit and I must have put the wrong stress on it, it putt a hair line crack in the bulb, so I'm thinking it might go out sooner then most.

Why would you want to change it to anything else?

If it is plug 'n play I wouldn't have an objection to changing to HID, but as someone already stated in this thread, some grinding of the plastic housing is required. Sort of like batteries that do not have the correct posts on them. Why don't they just make things that are standard?

One advantage of a light bar and auxiliary lighting is that you have redundancy as well as having common bulbs that are easily sourced.

Back