• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Zumo 660LM Installation

sernsb

Has anyone hardwired the Zumo 660LM onto a R1200RT and know where do-it-yourself instructions can be found? The Garmin installation instructions are mute on the issue.

I hard wired one onto my K1200GT

Just used the supplied wiring harness and ran it back to the Eastern Beaver fuse Block I bought earlier. Did I misunderstand your question?

665 on RT

I removed the plastic on the left side of my RT and routed the harness back to my fuse block under the seat. My 665 has the xm receiver which I nested under the rear carrier.

08 rt

Wired mine to a PDM60 under the seat. Along with my clearwater Krista lights, and wool horn.

PDM60 has clear install instructions

Their is a unused power pigtail, wrapped in tape near front fork. This is switched power. You will need the correct bmw plug from your dealer, it has three terminals you will be using one and three only, to correspond with + - on garmin. Recommend soldering connections, and double shrink tubing
GPS will shut off after a short delay when switching bike off

Their is a unused power pigtail, wrapped in tape near front fork. This is switched power. You will need the correct bmw plug from your dealer, it has three terminals you will be using one and three only, to correspond with + - on garmin. Recommend soldering connections, and double shrink tubing

A little OT
The problem with that setup for me (Garmin 550, 2009 r1200r) was it -that pigtail-worked off and on, not reliable, so I went to an accessory fuse box that was relayed switched.

I am not sure why it was unreliable, but there were other things I wanted to add- motolights, heated stuff, USB, etc.
So, I wire relayed it-the acc fusebox- to a circuit that stayed on for a little while-it's like 3 minutes- after the engine was cut, because I thought that sounded kind of neat and useful. After riding with that setup for about 12k miles, I decided I do NOT like it that way. I am going to switch the relay to the low beam wire that would make the relay engage only when the low beam is on, ie while the engine is running and go off when the engine is not.

Having things stay on is problematic. It takes forever for the SD card to be read by my garmin, so I want to keep it on at fillups, but with the 3 minute delay going to battery, as I am filling I have to watch the garmin to catch the screen to say yess to batt power. It would be FAR easier to do that when I turn off the ignition. Re the motolights, I have to remember to turn them off when I turn off the ignition otherwise I am cranking the engine with the motolights on, taking power away from the starter, Same with thermal gear. Those are big draws and usually not a problem unless it's cold or battery is showing its age. And I have to remember to turn them back on.
In short I think the delayed off of that circuit is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist and more trouble than its worth.
Obviously ymmv, but that's my 2 cents
John

Antnenna under rear carrier

I removed the plastic on the left side of my RT and routed the harness back to my fuse block under the seat. My 665 has the xm receiver which I nested under the rear carrier.

Could you tell me exactly where you placed it? Thanks. I am converting to a 665 and haven't figured where to mount the antenna yet.

delay on circuit

A little OT
The problem with that setup for me (Garmin 550, 2009 r1200r) was it -that pigtail-worked off and on, not reliable, so I went to an accessory fuse box that was relayed switched.

I am not sure why it was unreliable, but there were other things I wanted to add- motolights, heated stuff, USB, etc.
So, I wire relayed it-the acc fusebox- to a circuit that stayed on for a little while-it's like 3 minutes- after the engine was cut, because I thought that sounded kind of neat and useful. After riding with that setup for about 12k miles, I decided I do NOT like it that way. I am going to switch the relay to the low beam wire that would make the relay engage only when the low beam is on, ie while the engine is running and go off when the engine is not.

Having things stay on is problematic. It takes forever for the SD card to be read by my garmin, so I want to keep it on at fillups, but with the 3 minute delay going to battery, as I am filling I have to watch the garmin to catch the screen to say yess to batt power. It would be FAR easier to do that when I turn off the ignition. Re the motolights, I have to remember to turn them off when I turn off the ignition otherwise I am cranking the engine with the motolights on, taking power away from the starter, Same with thermal gear. Those are big draws and usually not a problem unless it's cold or battery is showing its age. And I have to remember to turn them back on.
In short I think the delayed off of that circuit is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist and more trouble than its worth.
Obviously ymmv, but that's my 2 cents
John

I programmed the one circuit on my PDM60 for my garmin the same way, a 300 sec delay. I am going to put it back to 7 seconds. the 300 is unnecessary. Each time the power is cut off to the mount my garmin asks me if I want to shut off or keep on battery power. Therefore a 7 second delay is all that is necessary on this circuit. So my PDM60 I am going to put all 6 programmable circuits to 7 seconds. The PDM60 is nice that way, great features.

Could you tell me exactly where you placed it? Thanks. I am converting to a 665 and haven't figured where to mount the antenna yet.

The XM antenna rests on the black plastic on top of the tail light under the luggage rack. The cable feeds in between the plastic (with a little persuasion) and meets up with the matching connector under the driver seat.
I was concerned that the reception would not be good enough but I have not experienced any issues even with the 49 liter top case.

Thanks for the info

That is very surprising it works so well. I use the 49 lite case all the time, so it is great to know of this solution. Thanks.

New NAV IV 06 RT

Upgrading from NAV III to NAV IV. NAV III cradle had only one connector to that fork pigtail. What's the second connector for on the NAV IV cradle?

Back