• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'01 R1100S Front Frame

jack3 in burien

I need to replace the Front Frame on an '01 R 1100 S. My Clymer manual doesn't cover that particular item. Before starting I'd like to have some idea of what is ahead. Does anyone have experience and can anyone aim me to a pdf or an article describing same? tia jack in burien :)

I need to replace the Front Frame on an '01 R 1100 S. My Clymer manual doesn't cover that particular item. Before starting I'd like to have some idea of what is ahead. Does anyone have experience and can anyone aim me to a pdf or an article describing same? tia jack in burien :)

Can you be a bit more specific? Front frame as where the upper triple clamp is? Front frame as in the telelever A-arm?

Be aware that you are swapping the part which carries the VIN #.

I haven't done this on an S, but here are some pointers based on my dealing with my RS:

Gas tank will need to be removed, probably the fairing as well

Remove the top triple clamp which is really more of a double clamp with a ball joint mount in the center.

Unbolt / unclip everything that is attached to the frame. i.e. brake lines, wire harness

You may be able to leave the front subframe for the fairing & gauges in place and work around it or it may need to be removed - not sure.

This could be a good time to remove the ball joint from the frame if you are reusing it.

unbolt the shock from the frame

unbolt the frame from the engine

remove the frame

Back