Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: gs-911 clone

Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Whether the new version will work with Macs will depend on whether or not the new Hexcode software will run on the Mac OS.
    David, hexcode has already posted a teaser video on youtube. Apparently the new device does not not require you to run their software on your phone, laptop, tablet, whatever. All functions are built into the unit. You access the unit using a web browser. The youtube video shows an iPad running the Safari web browser controlling the unit.

Conjecture is that any device with wi-fi and a web browser will be able to connect. I hope that is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by PALADINWEST View Post
    They are moving away from the dedicated software/usb-bluetooth approach of the old GS911 and towards a web server/wifi network approach. In short the software is built into the new GS911 (if that is what they call it) and the user accesses it through a web browser over a WiFi network (either by joining an existing network or creating an ad hoc network). This means that anything with WiFi and an appropriate web browser can access and control the new box.
    ^^^ I should have said this to indicate the independence from Windows or Apple. Instead of device independent, I meant platform independent. But, this description captures it best.

Stephan has been quite helpful to the entire BMW community through Hexcode's dedication to a diagnostic tool. He's even helped countless users solve problems beyond what the tool reads from BMW's output.

IMO, it's unthinkable to buy a counterfeit clone that rips them off and fails to function as the genuine product. While it's a free country here, the unscrupulous actions in other countries make it almost inappropriate (depending on your personal values) to even mention the counterfeit products here.

Aside from that, I enjoy the humor.

Cheers!
    Chris

2009 BMW R1200RT (Shaun), 2004 MINI Cooper S (Gromit), 2006 BMW X3 (Wallace)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun09 View Post
    Stephan has been quite helpful to the entire BMW community through Hexcode's dedication to a diagnostic tool. He's even helped countless users solve problems beyond what the tool reads from BMW's output.

IMO, it's unthinkable to buy a counterfeit clone that rips them off and fails to function as the genuine product. While it's a free country here, the unscrupulous actions in other countries make it almost inappropriate (depending on your personal values) to even mention the counterfeit products here.
    +1 - and having managed a large number of software and hardware projects I have some idea of the costs involved in writing and supporting that software that is ripped off by the unscrupulous. Hexcode has put together a good product and, better still, they have continued to support the tool and expand the functionality. The cost is not more than any other specialized tool for any vehicle that I have owned and, over the five or so years that I have owned it, has gained features and function. Their sharing policies are more than reasonable so it is not like they are forcing every BMW owner to buy one of each bike they own. Considering we are talking about $20,000+ motorcycles with thousands of dollars worth of extra "improvements" grafted on from the aftermarket, buying a $300 tool that might get you out riding sooner doesn't seem like much of an extra cost.
    2014 R1200GSA 33, 2008 HP2 Sport 10,000, 2008 R1200GSA 100,000 (Sold), 1990 R100GSPD 100,000, 1986 K100RS 152,000

Why anyone would want a diagnostic device to be hooked to the internet just escapes me. If you are using the Android like I do or any other handheld device, there is a big jump between a wi-fi link and bluetooth. Isn't there a law that says your bike has to brake somewhere in the middle of nowhere? Even when I use my netbook running a full blown OS I don't see why I need to connect to the web. What functionallity does that "REALLY" provide that an occasional update doesn't. Do you need to have a bluetooth or wi-fi connection to your hammer to pound a nail? Just take a look at what functions the E911 has now and what it could have. IMO, that wi-fi connection is pure bells and whistle BS.
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Not quite. Wi-fi is a communication protocol; it has nothing to do with the Hexcode software that runs on the user's computer and analyzes and displays the info collected by the bike's systems. The current GS-911 talks to computers via Bluetooth - another communication protocol - but the current GS-911 software (necessary to view the data collected by the GS-911) runs only on Windows machines.

Whether the new version will work with Macs will depend on whether or not the new Hexcode software will run on the Mac OS.
    I also spoke with the GS-911 gentleman at the rally specifically about this and came away with the understanding that iOS and OSx would not be supported. I was there with a buddy who is more technically knowledgeable and will confirm with him what the exact reason was but I recall it being rooted in the communication protocol differences. I will report back when I get more clarification.
    Ken
    [2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) - Mine]
    [2007 R1200RT (Sand Biege) - Hers]

Quote Originally Posted by chewbacca View Post
    Why anyone would want a diagnostic device to be hooked to the internet just escapes me.
    Using your mobile device's WiFi (or Bluetooth) antenna doesn't mean that you are connected to the Internet. Using WiFi to talk between your mobile device and the yet-to-be-released GS-911 doesn't require an Internet connection.

For people wanting to use an iOS device, they would have the capability of doing so with WiFi (without the Apple proprietary chip and associated expense added to the device that Hexcode has no plans for).
    Chris

2009 BMW R1200RT (Shaun), 2004 MINI Cooper S (Gromit), 2006 BMW X3 (Wallace)

RT in NC

Apple

Glad to see Apple isn't always the center of the universe.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by bogthebasher View Post
    I also spoke with the GS-911 gentleman at the rally specifically about this and came away with the understanding that iOS and OSx would not be supported. I was there with a buddy who is more technically knowledgeable and will confirm with him what the exact reason was but I recall it being rooted in the communication protocol differences. I will report back when I get more clarification.
    The old GS911 will not work on an IOS (iPhone, iPad, etc.) because 1) there is no GS911 software that is written for that platform, 2) for various technical reasons hexcode has no intention of writing software for that platform. They do support diagnostic capability on some Android devices, note that that is some, not all. I have an LG Android phone that won't work and a Samsung phone that will, my friends HTC phone won't work but his Samsung tablet will. If you want full functionality, like resetting the service indicator and locking the steppers, you need Windows (xp, 7, or 8) and ONLY Windows.

The yet to be released "red box" that they are developing for the future has an entirely different operational philosophy as I described in a previous post. And as Shaun09 (Chris) pointed out, WiFi has nothing to do with an internet connection it simply is a method of connecting the "red box" to the data viewing device (the phone, tablet, computer etc.). Hexcode has a very nice little video demo on their website of the new "red box" or GS-911+ connected to a K1600GT and operating on an iPad. Obviously they are still working on the software but I would say that the hardware looks to be fairly well along in the development process. It would appear that the new box will support all the models that the old GS-911 supports, plus the new R12/K16 and has full functionality on any "computing" device with WiFi and a browser. However, it is possible that they could limit certain functions to certain types of devices. In my opinion there is nothing to be gained by placing those limitations.
    Last edited by PALADINWEST; 08-08-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    2014 R1200GSA 33, 2008 HP2 Sport 10,000, 2008 R1200GSA 100,000 (Sold), 1990 R100GSPD 100,000, 1986 K100RS 152,000

as a 67 year old who got his first motorcycle in 1962...

and used to be able to actually work on my ducatis, triumphs and r80's.

I need to ask.

how many folks here have actually FIXED a problem with their gs-911?

and how many have fixed more than one problem?

thx

my dad in Europe in ww2

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8106/8...3e62d255a1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

F14rio,
    On my 1200gs, used to reset service light, cleared several faults, resulting from added equipment
    Great TOOL for diagnosing and servicing
    Unfortunately current version will not work with K1600/C650
    Awaiting my RED version. I my opinon well worth the money

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    I need to ask.

thx
    I've only ever used mine to reset the service reminders, check for trouble codes and to re-calibrate the idle steppers and such. All basic maintenance items that would have cost the price of the tool for a couple visits to the dealer for the same.

I've never had an actual problem with any of our bikes that needed to be fixed.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

I need to ask.

thx
    Hi guy,
    I'm hot on your tail at 66, maybe I'll catch up next year LOL. I'm probably going to offend a couple of the forum God's but there are a LOT of misunderstandings about what the GS-911 can and can not do. I bought it to reset my service indicator (which I have done), see what error codes are being thrown and reset them (which I have done), and to help resync my TB's (which I have done, but isn't really necessary). It also tells me what sensors are reading too (helps if you know what you're reading). It runs functional tests of various components. If you want some specifics on incidents where a GS911 helped to FIX a problem, talk to Ted Porter at the Beemershop. A fault can shut your bike down, not sure which ones they are, and you can reset that fault to get home. Of course if the fault is persistent because of a critical component failure, nothing short of replacing the component will. Is it a gotta have, IMO, no; but, it is sure nice to have.
    Rod
    Old But Not Dead
    Semper Fi

sorry, but i wish i could still get $4.00 keys at the hardware store...

...to replace when I lose a car key instead of the $250.oo it costs to replace them now. of course, you have to leave the car so the tech can let the car's computer know it has a new key.
    i'd rather take my chances with having the car stolen.

i'm not really computer illiterate (see profile),I
    started working with them in '72 but I never learned to like or completely trust them.

same logic applies to most vehicle technology in general. I suspect in 15 or 20 years a 70's or '80's era bmw will be worth more than a 2013 bmw because the computer support will no longer be available for the newer bikes.

just sayin'
    Last edited by f14rio; 08-09-2013 at 10:14 PM.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

At the beginning of each service I'd read the fault log. One service it indicated a fault (no longer present) with the cam position sensor. That jived with a an intermittent bit of rough running I'd experienced. A new cam position sensor (< $70, I think, and maybe 5 minutes work to replace) and the rough running went away.

Mostly I used the device for normal service. The last step of any service was to erase the fault log so next service would start with new faults, if any, and not included the faults I induced during a service.

The GS-911 went to a friend when I sold my '05. When Hexcode releases a model that works with the wethead I'll buy one.

I need to ask.

thx

my dad in Europe in ww2

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8106/8...3e62d255a1.jpg
    I pushed my bike off a ferry in Canada because it would not start. Used the GS-911and my phone to determine the FPC had failed. This was the improved replacement. I had a jumper and was back up running in 20 minutes. I was far from any dealer.
    I used the GS 911 to discover a slow clutch switch that was keeping me from starting the bike in gear with the clutch-in. Cleaned the switch to fix the problem.
    Reset service indicators lights for two friends. We are 100 miles from the nearest dealer.
    It has paid for itself for me.
    2013 Triumph Trophy
    2007 R1200RT Broken driveshaft @ 54,000 miles. Come on BMW!
    2000 R1100rt sold @ 72,000 Great Bike!
    Iron Butt #24605