• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

gs-911 clone

Why anyone would want a diagnostic device to be hooked to the internet just escapes me.

Using your mobile device's WiFi (or Bluetooth) antenna doesn't mean that you are connected to the Internet. Using WiFi to talk between your mobile device and the yet-to-be-released GS-911 doesn't require an Internet connection.

For people wanting to use an iOS device, they would have the capability of doing so with WiFi (without the Apple proprietary chip and associated expense added to the device that Hexcode has no plans for).

I also spoke with the GS-911 gentleman at the rally specifically about this and came away with the understanding that iOS and OSx would not be supported. I was there with a buddy who is more technically knowledgeable and will confirm with him what the exact reason was but I recall it being rooted in the communication protocol differences. I will report back when I get more clarification.

The old GS911 will not work on an IOS (iPhone, iPad, etc.) because 1) there is no GS911 software that is written for that platform, 2) for various technical reasons hexcode has no intention of writing software for that platform. They do support diagnostic capability on some Android devices, note that that is some, not all. I have an LG Android phone that won't work and a Samsung phone that will, my friends HTC phone won't work but his Samsung tablet will. If you want full functionality, like resetting the service indicator and locking the steppers, you need Windows (xp, 7, or 8) and ONLY Windows.

The yet to be released "red box" that they are developing for the future has an entirely different operational philosophy as I described in a previous post. And as Shaun09 (Chris) pointed out, WiFi has nothing to do with an internet connection it simply is a method of connecting the "red box" to the data viewing device (the phone, tablet, computer etc.). Hexcode has a very nice little video demo on their website of the new "red box" or GS-911+ connected to a K1600GT and operating on an iPad. Obviously they are still working on the software but I would say that the hardware looks to be fairly well along in the development process. It would appear that the new box will support all the models that the old GS-911 supports, plus the new R12/K16 and has full functionality on any "computing" device with WiFi and a browser. However, it is possible that they could limit certain functions to certain types of devices. In my opinion there is nothing to be gained by placing those limitations.

Last edited:
as a 67 year old who got his first motorcycle in 1962...

and used to be able to actually work on my ducatis, triumphs and r80's.

I need to ask.

how many folks here have actually FIXED a problem with their gs-911?

and how many have fixed more than one problem?

thx

my dad in Europe in ww2

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8106/8451841005_3e62d255a1.jpg

Attachments

• 8451841005_3e62d255a1[1].jpg
    8451841005_3e62d255a1[1].jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 205
F14rio,
On my 1200gs, used to reset service light, cleared several faults, resulting from added equipment
Great TOOL for diagnosing and servicing
Unfortunately current version will not work with K1600/C650
Awaiting my RED version. I my opinon well worth the money

I need to ask.

thx

I've only ever used mine to reset the service reminders, check for trouble codes and to re-calibrate the idle steppers and such. All basic maintenance items that would have cost the price of the tool for a couple visits to the dealer for the same.

I've never had an actual problem with any of our bikes that needed to be fixed.

I need to ask.

thx
Hi guy,
I'm hot on your tail at 66, maybe I'll catch up next year LOL. I'm probably going to offend a couple of the forum God's but there are a LOT of misunderstandings about what the GS-911 can and can not do. I bought it to reset my service indicator (which I have done), see what error codes are being thrown and reset them (which I have done), and to help resync my TB's (which I have done, but isn't really necessary). It also tells me what sensors are reading too (helps if you know what you're reading). It runs functional tests of various components. If you want some specifics on incidents where a GS911 helped to FIX a problem, talk to Ted Porter at the Beemershop. A fault can shut your bike down, not sure which ones they are, and you can reset that fault to get home. Of course if the fault is persistent because of a critical component failure, nothing short of replacing the component will. Is it a gotta have, IMO, no; but, it is sure nice to have.
Rod

sorry, but i wish i could still get $4.00 keys at the hardware store...

...to replace when I lose a car key instead of the $250.oo it costs to replace them now. of course, you have to leave the car so the tech can let the car's computer know it has a new key.
i'd rather take my chances with having the car stolen.

i'm not really computer illiterate (see profile),I
started working with them in '72 but I never learned to like or completely trust them.

same logic applies to most vehicle technology in general. I suspect in 15 or 20 years a 70's or '80's era bmw will be worth more than a 2013 bmw because the computer support will no longer be available for the newer bikes.

just sayin'

Last edited:

At the beginning of each service I'd read the fault log. One service it indicated a fault (no longer present) with the cam position sensor. That jived with a an intermittent bit of rough running I'd experienced. A new cam position sensor (< $70, I think, and maybe 5 minutes work to replace) and the rough running went away.

Mostly I used the device for normal service. The last step of any service was to erase the fault log so next service would start with new faults, if any, and not included the faults I induced during a service.

The GS-911 went to a friend when I sold my '05. When Hexcode releases a model that works with the wethead I'll buy one.

I need to ask.

thx

my dad in Europe in ww2

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8106/8451841005_3e62d255a1.jpg

I pushed my bike off a ferry in Canada because it would not start. Used the GS-911and my phone to determine the FPC had failed. This was the improved replacement. I had a jumper and was back up running in 20 minutes. I was far from any dealer.
I used the GS 911 to discover a slow clutch switch that was keeping me from starting the bike in gear with the clutch-in. Cleaned the switch to fix the problem.
Reset service indicators lights for two friends. We are 100 miles from the nearest dealer.
It has paid for itself for me.

I've used my GS-911 mainly for service related work like doing throttle body syncs and service reminders, but have taken it to check out used bikes for friends several times. Have been able to diagnose ABS issues based on faults codes and a battery/voltage issue on another. Neither of which we would have been sure about without the GS-911.

So far I've been happy with it.

GS911-Mobile Phone Shortcoming

I don't own a laptop, but was cheerfully told I could use a Blackberry or Android based cell phone to BT to the GS911 unit. So I make the purchase, I get all set up with a newly acquired used cellphone, and then find that the mobile device will not reset the service indicator. (And yes it is buried in at #19 under mobile phone FAQ's) I suggested to the Beemer folks that they be more upfront with that shortcoming in the mobile phone software, as I would not have gone down the mobile phone route had I known that. Even misled, as it was never mentioned in several emails, and they seemed offended that I would suggest that. Said they were selling all they could get their hands on, even tho they called me over the weekend to remind me to place my order as they were now in stock.

F14rio,

MANY times. It has proven it's value to me on the R1200R, and on friend's bikes. If you're a DIY'er with a hexhead, it's an essential tool.

I was on the side of a mountain in Mexico. The GS911 told me the bike wouldn't start because of possible FPC.
By telephone to someone posting on the internet, a volunteer brought the part to me from Los Angeles.
So the next day I was running again, thanks to the GS911 and a helper who saw the post on the internet.
(He was a total stranger. Someone had helped him when he broke down.)
I now carry the bypass cable made from the old unit.
I have reset service lights many times on two bikes and about 7 others for friends.
And read codes and erased codes.
Well worth the price.
dc

Back