• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

gs-911 clone

Just FYI... Spoke to the GS-911 rep at the rally. They are coming out with a new device that they call the red version. It will intially be designed to handle the waterhead bikes. Over time they will write the software to make the red version handle all the bikes currently addressed by the yellow version. The yellow version will not be updated to handle the waterheads and they will not have a buy-back or credit program for those that want to upgrade their device,

Just FYI... Spoke to the GS-911 rep at the rally. They are coming out with a new device that they call the red version. It will intially be designed to handle the waterhead bikes. Over time they will write the software to make the red version handle all the bikes currently addressed by the yellow version. The yellow version will not be updated to handle the waterheads and they will not have a buy-back or credit program for those that want to upgrade their device,

Any mention about supporting Apple iOS?

The new version will use WiFi. So, it is device independent (Windows, Mac, or phones with WiFi).

when all this new stuff becomes available...

used originals (which are fine for us poor folks) should be selling used for, I would guess about a hundred bucks or less.

I'm so poor that I make jokes about people at their expense. :)

Did you take a close look at the link???? There is nothing that says it functions like an E911. Not even sure how it connects. It calls itself a trip meter too. If it is a typical Chinese product, it WILL BE a pig in a poke with absolutely NO support. I have an E911 and IMO, you don't use it every day, but when you need it, you want it to work. That alone is worth the extra bucks to me.

The new version will use WiFi. So, it is device independent (Windows, Mac, or phones with WiFi).

Not quite. Wi-fi is a communication protocol; it has nothing to do with the Hexcode software that runs on the user's computer and analyzes and displays the info collected by the bike's systems. The current GS-911 talks to computers via Bluetooth - another communication protocol - but the current GS-911 software (necessary to view the data collected by the GS-911) runs only on Windows machines.

Whether the new version will work with Macs will depend on whether or not the new Hexcode software will run on the Mac OS.

Last edited:
Not quite. Wi-fi is a communication protocol; it has nothing to do with the Hexcode software that runs on the user's computer and analyzes and displays the info collected by the bike's systems. The current GS-911 talks to computers via Bluetooth - another communication protocol - but the current GS-911 software (necessary to view the data collected by the GS-911) runs only on Windows machines.

Whether the new version will work with Macs will depend on whether or not the new Hexcode software will run on the Mac OS.

There is an Android version of the software too, but not the full functionality of the Windows version. Lets you collect real time data on the phone as you head down the road and also to clear error codes. Won't reset service dates though. Works over bluetooth. Because of Apple's restrictions there isn't an IOS version (has to do with app to hardware communication).

So, not totally limited to Windows.

Thanks, Rusty, you're quite correct. My rose-colored glasses (I'm an iPhone user) didn't discern the Android functionality.

Perhaps Hexcode will use the same approach that a home network router uses. The software is in the router, with an HTML based interface, accessible by any device with a web browser, upgradeable with a firmware update. No need to get Apple's approval of the program.

I spoke with Stephan and his guys at Salem. We had a some fairly detailed conversations about their new (unreleased) product and how it functions. They are moving away from the dedicated software/usb-bluetooth approach of the old GS911 and towards a web server/wifi network approach. In short the software is built into the new GS911 (if that is what they call it) and the user accesses it through a web browser over a WiFi network (either by joining an existing network or creating an ad hoc network). This means that anything with WiFi and an appropriate web browser can access and control the new box. They were demoing the concept at Salem using an iPad, the "red box" and a 1200GS. The K1600 and the new R1200GS LC use a completely different software and hardware interface at the diagnostic port so the existing GS911 has probably reached EOL.
Although I had exchanged emails with them over the course of my ownership of a GS911, Salem was the first time that I had the chance to meet the "faces" behind the emails. After meeting them my conclusion was that their BMW diagnostic software and hardware is truly a labour of love and not a get rich scheme. I plan to support them through product purchases as much as I can. i.e when I have a new R1200LC I will buy their diagnostic tool when it is available.

David, hexcode has already posted a teaser video on youtube. Apparently the new device does not not require you to run their software on your phone, laptop, tablet, whatever. All functions are built into the unit. You access the unit using a web browser. The youtube video shows an iPad running the Safari web browser controlling the unit.

Conjecture is that any device with wi-fi and a web browser will be able to connect. I hope that is correct.

They are moving away from the dedicated software/usb-bluetooth approach of the old GS911 and towards a web server/wifi network approach. In short the software is built into the new GS911 (if that is what they call it) and the user accesses it through a web browser over a WiFi network (either by joining an existing network or creating an ad hoc network). This means that anything with WiFi and an appropriate web browser can access and control the new box.

^^^ I should have said this to indicate the independence from Windows or Apple. Instead of device independent, I meant platform independent. But, this description captures it best.

Stephan has been quite helpful to the entire BMW community through Hexcode's dedication to a diagnostic tool. He's even helped countless users solve problems beyond what the tool reads from BMW's output.

IMO, it's unthinkable to buy a counterfeit clone that rips them off and fails to function as the genuine product. While it's a free country here, the unscrupulous actions in other countries make it almost inappropriate (depending on your personal values) to even mention the counterfeit products here.

Aside from that, I enjoy the humor.

Cheers!

Stephan has been quite helpful to the entire BMW community through Hexcode's dedication to a diagnostic tool. He's even helped countless users solve problems beyond what the tool reads from BMW's output.

IMO, it's unthinkable to buy a counterfeit clone that rips them off and fails to function as the genuine product. While it's a free country here, the unscrupulous actions in other countries make it almost inappropriate (depending on your personal values) to even mention the counterfeit products here.

+1 - and having managed a large number of software and hardware projects I have some idea of the costs involved in writing and supporting that software that is ripped off by the unscrupulous. Hexcode has put together a good product and, better still, they have continued to support the tool and expand the functionality. The cost is not more than any other specialized tool for any vehicle that I have owned and, over the five or so years that I have owned it, has gained features and function. Their sharing policies are more than reasonable so it is not like they are forcing every BMW owner to buy one of each bike they own. Considering we are talking about $20,000+ motorcycles with thousands of dollars worth of extra "improvements" grafted on from the aftermarket, buying a $300 tool that might get you out riding sooner doesn't seem like much of an extra cost.

Why anyone would want a diagnostic device to be hooked to the internet just escapes me. If you are using the Android like I do or any other handheld device, there is a big jump between a wi-fi link and bluetooth. Isn't there a law that says your bike has to brake somewhere in the middle of nowhere? Even when I use my netbook running a full blown OS I don't see why I need to connect to the web. What functionallity does that "REALLY" provide that an occasional update doesn't. Do you need to have a bluetooth or wi-fi connection to your hammer to pound a nail? Just take a look at what functions the E911 has now and what it could have. IMO, that wi-fi connection is pure bells and whistle BS.

I also spoke with the GS-911 gentleman at the rally specifically about this and came away with the understanding that iOS and OSx would not be supported. I was there with a buddy who is more technically knowledgeable and will confirm with him what the exact reason was but I recall it being rooted in the communication protocol differences. I will report back when I get more clarification.

Back