• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

There must be a better looking product out there..........

sickticket

Ok, I have a 2013 R1200RT anniversary edition and I would like to get a top box for it but am not happy with the different options I have seen. The BMW-Givi models out there are certainly aerodynamic looking but do not blend in with the lines of the bike. They look like tumors or metal armored boxes. The HD top boxes I have seen look like they were make to mold to the flowing lines of the bikes and look like part of the bike and not an afterthought.
I would like something that looks like it was make to be part of the bike and give my wife some back support. At this point I am probably just going to be a BMW-Bakup for her and go with soft luggage.
Is there anything out there I have not been able to find????
Thank you all in advance.

Sick, I think what you are running up against is the fact that no top box makes a bike look better. I detest the appearance of a top box. That being said they are very functional and I have one for my R12R. It comes off as soon as I get home from long trips.

I know what you mean. Even the side cases look like big blobs.
Both the Goldwing and some of the Harleys have nice integrated boxes, in the same paint scheme.
But the BMW top box is ... black only. Making it not only ugly but the wrong color.
I just tie a soft bag on the back. It doesn't look any worse, didn't cost $1,000 or more, and gives me more carrying options.
dc

But the BMW top box is ... black only. Making it not only ugly but the wrong color.
I just tie a soft bag on the back. It doesn't look any worse, didn't cost $1,000 or more, and gives me more carrying options.
The 49L box is black and silver (you can always paint the silver portion to match your bike color). Plus, I don't think soft bag is going to give his wife the back support he is looking for. You can generally find these boxes on eBay or even this site. I bought mine from a member here for $450 and I use it mostly for long distance trips that lasts more than a week.

Attachments

• California Ride2.jpg
    California Ride2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 703
Hmmm...I never realized the boxes were only silver and black. My 2011 RT is Tri Color Thunder Gray Metalllic and the top half of the 49L case is painted the same. Pretty awesome to do the tri-color like that. Did dealers offer this? I'm the second owner so I don't know.

Hmmm...I never realized the boxes were only silver and black. My 2011 RT is Tri Color Thunder Gray Metalllic and the top half of the 49L case is painted the same. Pretty awesome to do the tri-color like that. Did dealers offer this? I'm the second owner so I don't know.

As far as I know, the R1200RT top case only came in silver from the factory. We used to tease a member mercilessly for having a silver box on his red RT, becasue he was too cheap to have it painted.
Funny thing, I bought a used RT box for my K1600GT (which fits, btw) and the LOWER part is painted a dark bronze color, which actually fits the frame color of the K16

Attachments

• K1600GT Topcase.jpg
    K1600GT Topcase.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 646
It's easy enough to put the top box on when you need it and slip it off when you don't. I'm not nuts about the appearance of any that I've seen on any bike, and I'm not nuts about carrying weight that high up and that far back on a bike, either. That said, I have a Givi V46 on my R1200RT that I use for trips and shopping. It holds a lot of stuff and provides security for my helmet, etc. when I'm off the bike. After the trip, off it comes. The Givi is their "Tech" version, matte black with silver (not red) trim which looks pretty good on my Thunder Gray RT. The bigger Givi (52L, 55L?) looks like you are carrying a Civic on your bike ;)

pete
Another day with no plans to use Calculus.

Painted top boxes for BMW are available, though you might have to order it that way. My wife loves the backrest on the top box. I leave mine on all the time and only put the sidecases on for trips. For my daily commutes to work, the top box is my "junk drawer" carrying all I need: lunch, rain gear, tools, etc.

Maybe too lowball for this forum, but I wanted a topbox for my Ural to keep the kids from falling off the back and was spoiled by the 22L one on my K. Found an Emgo on Amazon for $69, very happy with it. Big enough for one FF helmet, more solid than the 22L, easy on/off (mounting plate stays on) Looks right at home on the Ural

Attachments

• IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 613
  • 41CHg+178jL._SX385_.jpg
    41CHg+178jL._SX385_.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 561
  • emgo.jpg
    emgo.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 610
Back