• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'96 K1100LT front brake stuck

leftturn

Hi there..Only been a member a few days..trouble begins. I put the Johnny blanket on and buckled it up except for the right side lower. No seat on it and it felt nice so low. I took it for a ride and all was well.
I got back to my garage and put the lower and the seat back on. Backed it out..started up ..checked the brakes and the front brake lever was very tight. I pushed it in and picked the front wheel up off the ground.
It is very hard to turn. I pulled the cap off of master and pulled level slightly..there is circulation..
What happened?

You should list your bike's model and year. Sounds like a stuck caliper, or I've heard of the brake lines decaying and trapping pressure in the lines. Unscrew a bleeder and see if that frees up the wheel

You should list your bike's model and year. Sounds like a stuck caliper, or I've heard of the brake lines decaying and trapping pressure in the lines. Unscrew a bleeder and see if that frees up the wheel

after 1/2 hr the wheel will move freely..right now I have no front brakes..abs blinking. It ran great this morning..i put the blanket on and ran it and it was fine..and now..not..bike is a 96 k1100lt

What is the "blanket"? As a WAG - it sounds as if there is either a master cylinder problem or an ABS modulator problem... but that IS a GUESS.

The blanket is the Johnny blanket. It is a piece of insulation placed under the tank to try to help the enormous heat that the K bikes generate. That is what I was doing when this problem happened. So I either did something by disconnecting the battery or I flattened something out..or a connector somewhere. I rode it for 2 miles after I put the blanket on with no problem. I came back and put the lower fairing on the right side..put my seat back on..backed out of the garage and I couldnt pull the front brake lever in. If I pulled hard it would tighten the front calipers locking the front wheel. Then if I let it sit for an hour the wheel would turn..the pads would retract. I decided to bleed the front brakes but opening the bleeder screw and no fluid comes out either side. Now I can't make the calipers grip at all. It just seems so cincidental for this to happen at the same time I was working on it. I feel that I did something..but what?? Thanks for your replies

Mike

Ordering new brakes. I put it together and took it for a ride. Very little front brakes and the plungers are not retracting well. I am close for new brakes anyway. When they come in I will check the plungers and see what the deal is. These bikes sure are different than anything I have owned to work on. Not bad yet, just a new learning experience. And the red light on dash went out after touching both front and rear brakes..the abs lights blinked until I rolled..so that's good too. While I had the tank off I pulled all the connectors and hit them with contact cleaner. Could'nt hurt..

pulled brakes off and I have 3mm on all pads and wearing evenly. Even with calipers off I squeeze front brake
and pistons move in very slowly but both sides the same. I dont know enough about these bikes to diagnose these things. Not enough about it in the manual. I am not going to a dealer for service.

thanks..It was either a bad line or a deteriorated seal..
hydlineblock_zps423bed10.jpg

Yuk, that came out of your brake line? I think I would take the time to remove all lines and 'clean' or replace*, and pull the calipers and disassemble and clean them thoroughly. *at least back to the ABS unit if this was between the ABS and the caliper.

It was between the mc and the abs. I flushed it good and replaced with ss line. I saw the same thing happen
to Chris Harris/....bmw mechanic on Youtube.

Back