Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LF: Driving Lights and/or HID Headlight for R100 GS

I use aux lights mostly to be noticed and not for looking further down the road as the new RTs have very good headlights in that regard. If you can mount them so they are above the handlebars, that would be optimal IMO. On my RT-P the police lights were changed to Hellas on the police mounts. No one EVER didn't see me or turn in front of me when riding that bike.

IMO getting them as far away from the headlight(s) is best to be noticed. Fork,caliper, or front
    fender mounts are also good. On my present RT I didn't want to change the bodywork (around the mirrors) and also look for mounts to get them above the handlebars as on the RT-P, so I just recently mounted them on locked open highway pegs, they are quite wide and down near the heads, very noticeable, but not as low as fender mounting. Will have to see if there's any vibration or if the pegs want to fold closed with the extra mass on them.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    I hooked them up temporarily to see if they were functional & with the lights off in my shop they are bright enough for $69.80 total price & to make for a safer MC.
    When you say "bright enough", do you mean for oncoming traffic to see you or do you mean they light up the road some distance away far more than the stock headlight. I am looking for the latter?

Those along with the Ztechnic mounts may just be it. I have to check out possible mounting clearance issues where the oil cooler is located.

+1 on the Denali's from Twisted Throttle. I've had them for about 10 months on my R80. If you're looking for 1) better all-around lighting at night, and 2) being more visible during the day, they fill both bills. For a long-distance or high-speed driving light where you might want to see 600 feet down the road, I think all LED systems will fall short (literally, they don't throw enough light FAR down the road)--you'll want HID or halogens. Denalis are outstanding for everything else, and for normal night riding they're terrific. They need to be adjusted carefully to avoid blinding other drivers though.

There are 3 versions--I have the D2 which are dimmable and come with a wiring harness and instructions that allow them to be triggered by your normal high/low beam switching. On high, they blind other drivers even during the day; I leave them on low beam, and when someone is about to pull out or turn in front of me, I give them the brights. Gets their attention.

One complaint is that they come with an excessive amount of very thick wiring and large heavy-duty connectors. It's hard to find a place to put it all on an unfaired bike.

Can't help you on the brackets; I fabricated my own.
    Dave in Vermont
    '84 R80ST
    '81 R100 hack

I just want to give you all a heads up and mention one problem I encountered on my 1200RT. I don't know if other late model BMWs are the same or not.

I bought the fender mounts ($20) from TT for the Denalis that I already had. The internal threads behind the fender mount holes are not at a 90 degree angle to the front. IOW, when I mounted the lights, they were both facing inward, the beams would be crossed somewhere in front of the tire and not straight down the road. So I abandoned that mounting possibility.

Might take a look @ www.ezymount.com

I do not feel my LED's will light my way on the road "beyond the halogen HL" but they are waaaaayy too bright to "look at" in shop test! and will draw little current while helping with conspicuity. See ebay item # 380690392232 as one e.g. of the light I bought. Anything brighter is HID or halogen that draws more than I desire & or has more than one led inside & is thus a larger light & more $$$. They just raised the price too!
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Might take a look @ www.ezymount.com
    I just had a look. Nothing for an airhead BMW or did I miss something?

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    HID will save you about 10 watts over the 55/60 halogens. I also like the color much better if you go with daylight 4300k. Another consideration is that they sell halogen H4 bulbs with 55 watt low beam and 100 watt bright. If you do this, you really should install a relay kit so as not to melt the wiring harness. Check out Eastern Beaver dot com for info on H4 relay kits.

For bright LEDs, everyone uses Cree LED assemblies -- no sense paying a fortune from one final assembler over another. Denali is high priced, ADV Monster and others are not, although the business end of the lights is the same.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Another consideration is that they sell halogen H4 bulbs with 55 watt low beam and 100 watt bright.
    And also similar bulbs with lower high beam wattage...80W. I never installed one back then (the 90s) not knowing how the added heat may affect the light assembly, which is small on a GS. I guess I could go with a 55/80W and give it a try. They are cheap enough. It'll give me a chance to wipe down the inside of the headlight lens which is slightly hazy after 22 years.
    Last edited by GlobalRider; 08-06-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    When you say "bright enough", do you mean for oncoming traffic to see you or do you mean they light up the road some distance away far more than the stock headlight. I am looking for the latter?

Those along with the Ztechnic mounts may just be it. I have to check out possible mounting clearance issues where the oil cooler is located.
    See ebay ad for the same light model as I bought(mine are black all over & less $) which has the beam "penetration distance waaaaay out there"(if you believe the diagram) 500meters is down the road ,eh? item #400547042519
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.