• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Going to Canada questions

Do Not Go over the Rainbow Bridge crossing into Canada waited in the Queue for 2 1/2 hours to cross the boarder

+1 on the above.

Cross at Buffalo at the Peace Bridge. Try to not to cross just before the hour. They change assignments on the hour and it can take up to 10 minutes while traffic sits. Your Easy Pass will work at Fort Erie, saving you some time. I always avoid Lewiston-Queenston and Niagara with my crossings.

If crossing in the Niagara area, take the QEW and then use the toll road, ETR/407. Very, very expensive compared to any toll I've been charged in the US, but it will whisk you around TO fairly quickly. You'll get a very pricy bill in the mail so there is no paying at the time of using it. Do not take the 401 around Toronto. From NY I'd be tempted to cross further north over the St. Lawrence. You will save yourself a lot of aggravation.

While waiting in line, change your GPS settings from miles to kilometres. Once I forgot to do that and it took me a while to clue in why I was passing everyone at the post limit of 50. Lucky I did not get a speeding ticket. (Never be caught riding 50 km over the limit; $10,000 fine and loss of vehicle for a while.) Travel with the flow of traffic, despite the posted speeds.

Use either VISA/Mastercard or bring Canadian money with you. Not all Canadian merchants give you a fair exchange on your dollar.

How will we recognize you at the rally besides your NY plate?

It has been 6 years since I have passed into Canada. When I do go, first thing of business is to exchange currency. True, US green backs are accepted most places. However, I was thanked many times for taking the time to do the exchange myself. When in Rome!
Same as others have said, tell your bank and credit card company before you leave. They put a hold on my card to protect me the first time I went. A phone call took care of the problem. A phone call to your cell phone carrier before the trip can save you some headaches and money.

+1 on the above.

How will we recognize you at the rally besides your NY plate?

Sorry, I am coming from Connecticut on a red RT and plan on crossing over north of Watertown, NY at Thousand Islands.
Is there somewhere this side of the border to exchange cash?

Best way to get Canadian $$ is stop at any Canadian bank and use your ATM card.

US banks rape you on the rate. At the 1000 islands there is a duty free store too, and they have fair exchange rates last I knew.

Best way to get Canadian $$ is stop at any Canadian bank and use your ATM card.

US banks rape you on the rate. At the 1000 islands there is a duty free store too, and they have fair exchange rates last I knew.

Right, I always get a good rate at Canadian Bank ATMs.... Not the ones in convienence stores....

So the rally was great. Literally did not know anyone there when I got there but sure knew some when I left.
That is what the MOA is all about.
No problems at border, they only wanted passport, where you going where you been....
I crossed on the way up at Cornwall. A rusty 2 lane bridge which made me wonder what they did with the toll money they collected.
On the way back I crossed at Thousand Island. What a beautiful place. Someone should have a rally up there.
Took a wrong turn on the way home and saw more of the Adirondacks then I had anticipated.
Well worth the trip and thanks for all the constructive advice.:thumb

Don't have a bumper sticker on your top case that says "Guns Save Lives"

This is a lttle late, but worth sharing. Five of us crossed and my buddy's son was with us, what the son did not realize was that good old Dad had a large bumper sticker across the width of the K1100's top case he was riding that read "Guns Save Lives!" Guess who was pulled into inspection! :doh

LCBO is the acronym you need to know in Ontario.
Remember, it isn't just a province, it is a time zone.

Why do people call the US America? America has a north and a south and a whole buncha countries. (sorry. pet peeve)

9458613844_7e1ea6e56a.jpg

I agree, and have never understood that. Canada, USA and Mexico are all part of North America.

Probably because it is short for "The United States of America." Sort of like how folks from the Dominion of Canada call themselves Canadians, from the Republic of France call themselves French, the United Mexican States call themselves Mexicans, etc.

And no forgetting Central and South America, I suppose they could be annoyed about it too ;)

Probably because it is short for "The United States of America." Sort of like how folks from the Dominion of Canada call themselves Canadians, from the Republic of France call themselves French, the United Mexican States call themselves Mexicans, etc.

And no forgetting Central and South America, I suppose they could be annoyed about it too ;)

Trouble maker, trying to use logic and reason to explain the obvious.:D

Back