It was a little bit chilly here in Colorado with high 20's during the day so we're spending a reasonable time in our garages fixing the bikes and getting ready for the riding season which should be starting in about... *looks at the calendar* 2 months... :
Until we're on the road, we want to see some fixes, mods, goodies installations, time spent washing the bike, services, tire changes, anything. Here, I'll start:
It all started with a post on the GSGiants FB page and this horrific picture:
I decided it was time to replace my stock skid plate. So I went on the internetz, googled (when did that become a verb?) black dog cycle works and within a few days, I had a package!
Let me start by telling you, the folks at Black Dog Cycle Works have made an EXCEPTIONAL product. But they could have spent a little bit more time writing the instructions... In their defense, I should have spent a little bit more time reading them before I started :roll:
So since my space in the garage is limited to non existing (you try to fit 4 bikes and a trailer in a one car garage), I decided the easiest way to work on the bike is to put it on the trailer so it is standing up and I can work under it. So I did. I was actually quite proud of myself!
Then I started reading the manual:
1. Place bike on center stand (even if using a bike lift). This eases installation greatly.
I guess I should have read the manual first, right? Oh well, off the trailer and back into the garage.
Step 1a: Remove the stock skid plate. Easy enough, take 5 bolts out (I have a '14 GSA).
Step 1b: Remove all related hardware as well but keep the 4 (four) stock M8x25 bolts.
This is what you need to see before starting installing the BDCW hardware:
Let's put the two skid plates side by side for comparison...
So as I mentioned earlier, I should have spent more time reading the instructions before I started. Therefore, there were several steps I missed. Such as the part that says "move the U-nuts into place AFTER you install the the front mount... This is what I did:
Well, the problem is that the tool that the BDCW people were kind enough to provide, will go through the hole but not through the nut...