Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: What to do with the Antenna ??

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    224

    What to do with the Antenna ??

    Got a 2015 RT and it has a radio. Ok, but the ugly antenna has got to go.
    Any one replaced it with something else or just removed it ?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    67
    The times I have had antennas on my bikes, the first thing I did was take them off and replace them with a short 'rubber-duckie' antenna. They come is 'short' sizes. You can get them at any auto part store and onLine. Usually, they come with several bolt size connecting options and you ought to find one to stick on your bike well enough.

    I found their reception to be about on par with the long OEM antenna.

    The problem I always encounter was that when throwing a cover over the bike, the antenna tends to get bent up and eventually break.

    This time, I was lucky enough to find an RT without a radio (the way I wanted it).

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4

    Antenna

    Check out Amazon.com and search for Shorty antennas. They make several of them that screw right on the replace the stock antenna and cost about 12 bucks. I put one on and it works just as good as the Stock antenna. Looks better too. GT

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Bay City, Texas
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by mosrrt View Post
    Got a 2015 RT and it has a radio. Ok, but the ugly antenna has got to go.
    Any one replaced it with something else or just removed it ?
    I got this stubby 3.5 in antenna at AutoZone and it works fine. Cost $10IMG_0268.JPG

  5. #5
    Registered User captainmarko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    9
    Thanks for the tip. Just did mine this afternoon. Looks soooo much better.
    Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    67
    [QUOTE=captainmarko;988720]Thanks for the tip. Just did mine this afternoon. Looks soooo much better.[/QUO

    Well post a pic. Let us see how good it looks

  7. #7
    Registered User captainmarko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    9


    Ask and ye shall receive!
    Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.

  8. #8
    Registered User Motodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    1,428
    Quote Originally Posted by captainmarko View Post


    Ask and ye shall receive!
    Has range and/or quality of reception changed?
    [B]MOA #46783
    2015 R1200RT

  9. #9
    Registered User captainmarko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Has range and/or quality of reception changed?
    Couldn't tell you. I use my iPhone for all my music. If it does affect reception I'll swap it back. Provided I ever listen to the radio.

    I mean, for $10 and 15 seconds of install time, it's the most can't lose farkle I've ever done on a motorcycle.
    Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.

  10. #10
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    5,142
    Quote Originally Posted by captainmarko View Post


    Ask and ye shall receive!
    I recently researched this.

    As your photo clearly shows, the diameter across the threads of the mount for the antenna rod is smaller than the diameter of most aftermarket (and car) antennas. It's 10 mm and I went across to the car side of my BMW dealer and measured a Z4 antenna and that diameter is 15 mm. I think basically no eBay or Amazon blurb indicates the diameter and of course none of the sellers indicate BMW motorcycle fitments. If there's a car with the more "petite" antenna it would be great to know the brand. Having the antenna rod larger than the mount as is noticeable in the photo wouldn't work for me.

    If somebody finds or has found a stubby replacement the "correct" size, please post about it.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  11. #11
    Registered User captainmarko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    I recently researched this.

    As your photo clearly shows, the diameter across the threads of the mount for the antenna rod is smaller than the diameter of most aftermarket (and car) antennas. It's 10 mm and I went across to the car side of my BMW dealer and measured a Z4 antenna and that diameter is 15 mm. I think basically no eBay or Amazon blurb indicates the diameter and of course none of the sellers indicate BMW motorcycle fitments. If there's a car with the more "petite" antenna it would be great to know the brand. Having the antenna rod larger than the mount as is noticeable in the photo wouldn't work for me.

    If somebody finds or has found a stubby replacement the "correct" size, please post about it.
    You're right. I guess I'll go put a few wraps of electrical tape around it to smooth out the transition.
    Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.

  12. #12
    BMW MOA co-founder bmwdean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    1,047
    I do not use the radio. I just took the antenna off, put it in a clear plastic tube from Ace Hardware to protect it, and put it in the top case, where it will reside. I put an 8mm screw with a rubber grommet in the antenna socket.
    Jeff Dean − BMW MOA Co-founder (1972)
    http://bmwdean.com/founders.htm
    http://bmwdean.com/

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Bay City, Texas
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by captainmarko View Post
    You're right. I guess I'll go put a few wraps of electrical tape around it to smooth out the transition.
    Personally, I think it looks just fine and it works great

  14. #14
    Registered User captainmarko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdean View Post
    I put an 8mm screw with a rubber grommet in the antenna socket.
    There you go.

    Just make it go away.

    My thoughts exactly.
    Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •