• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2005 R1150RT Brake Problem

L

leibjo

I have a 2005 R1150RT I recently got caught in the rain, and rode for hours to get home. The bike ran beautifully after being continuously wet for about 6 hours. After getting home I put it to bed in the garage and let her dry off. I went to go for a ride a couple of days later and found my brake light on and flashing a warning. I have no idea how to trouble shoot this problem. I was hoping you folks could offer some meaningful suggestions.

Cheers,
Wet Rider

I doubt I can be much help for the specifics of your bike. Before you get a schwak of complicated responses, check to make sure your stop lamp bulb didn't burn out. Check the fuse as well, I think, fuses one and two.

brake light

I have a 2005 R1150RT I recently got caught in the rain, and rode for hours to get home. The bike ran beautifully after being continuously wet for about 6 hours. After getting home I put it to bed in the garage and let her dry off. I went to go for a ride a couple of days later and found my brake light on and flashing a warning. I have no idea how to trouble shoot this problem. I was hoping you folks could offer some meaningful suggestions.

Cheers,
Wet Rider

Had same problem on my 2004.Check that your brake light goes on and off when you push the foot brake.Mine had a pinched wire and did not let the anti lock brake system work.All the brake light bulbs and switches need to work or it seams the anti brake lights come on.My brake assist did not work.Fixed wire all is good.

Davekoll

Two things that happen most often: the tail/brake light bulb is bad (and the bike WILL fake you out with this, by switching to the "other" bulb at reduced voltage & brightness), you MUST inspect both bulbs very closely), or the battery is not holding enough of a charge to keep the ABS happy.

It may also be useful to determine the pattern of the flashing warning light(s):
Gen OFF, ABS ON = Only residual braking in both circuits.
Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 1 Hz = ABS not available. Pull-away test not completed.
Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 4 Hz = Only residual braking function available in both circuits.
Gen ON, ABS off = rear light/brake light defective.
Gen ON, ABS flashes at 1 Hz = At least one brake circuit without ABS.
Gen ON, ABS flashes at 4 Hz = At least one brake circuit in residual braking function mode.
Gen AND ABS flashing alternately at 1 Hz = Fluid level in Integral ABS too low, or Low voltage.

Hey Dave, where exactly was the pinched wire? We know that the factory cinched a few of these down too tightly; maybe some of us could avoid this one before it became a problem... thanks!

First year for R1200RT was 2005 ... so maybe.

According to realoem, last R1150RT was produced in February 2006. And some were also produced in April, June, November, and December, 2005. Given no other information--and I have none--I'd guess police bikes.

Original poster can enter his VIN at http://www.realoem.com to determine actual production date of his bike.

2004 r1150rt

You were right, Thank you, the bike is a 2004...

The break lights work fine the battery is good.

I took the bike for a ride and while the brake warning light was on the bike seemed to brake just as it should. I did hear a sound coming from the front end like a caliper might be hung up. I've spun the front and rear wheels and there is some friction but the wheels seem to turn OK. Should there be any fiction at all? If I had a stuck caliper would I get a warning light?

Question, how do I know if the warning light flashing is 1Hz or 4Hz?

The sight glass is at 1/2 full for fluid.

All of my fuses look good.

Where do I go from here?

Wet rider

Thank You to everyone who's helping me with this!

Question, how do I know if the warning light flashing is 1Hz or 4Hz?

Watch a clock until you have a good idea of how long a second is. Then when you see the blinking light on your dash, if it is every second (slow) then it is 1 Hz and if it is four times a second (fast) it is 4Hz. They are quite different and easy to distinguish, once you know how long a second is.

I've got an '04 1150 GS that developed the flash pattern indicative of a bad brake light bulb. Pulled the bulb and it appeared fine. Flashing went away for about a week, then returned. I pulled the bulb again and it was blown. I believe the bike's computer checks the light filament's resistance and probably will trigger a warning before the filament breaks. Bulbs are cheap, you may want to replace it to rule out that possibility.

That is hilarious, and SO typical for BMW owners.

Computer: "Electrically speaking, this bulb is bad."

Owner: "Visually, it looks great. You're wrong, I'm going to keep using it."

:)

Cheers,
Wet Rider

I had my abs flash back and forth and it turned out that it was low flued in the abs pump. topped it off and all was well again.

your system has 4 brake fluid reservoirs. two are under the tank in the control unit.

One of them can be low. You get to pull the tank to check visually

Rod

Back