Thread: Vario case out of alignment when extended 08 R1200GS

Vario case out of alignment when extended 08 R1200GS

Went down slow speed on my 08 R1200GS and the left Vario case now will not fully open on the left side. It seems that the left side of the case does not fully extend (as the right side does) and is out of alignment. Saw a thread on fixing a broken case bottom and latch but nothing on this in particular. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by deilenberger; 07-30-2013 at 04:25 AM. Reason: added year/model to title

I did one for a friend that had his bike fall over in a windstorm (blew off the stand) about 4 years ago. It had the same symptom as yours. As I remember it was pretty straightforward and was just a matter of getting the gear train meshed correctly with the inner and outer halves of the case aligned properly. I think that it took about 15 minutes to get it apart and realigned and reassembled. If you look at the case you will see what needs to be removed to open it up. I did it in the middle of a field with the tools that I had on my bike.
    2014 R1200GSA 33, 2008 HP2 Sport 10,000, 2008 R1200GSA 100,000 (Sold), 1990 R100GSPD 100,000, 1986 K100RS 152,000

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PALADINWEST View Post
    I did one for a friend that had his bike fall over in a windstorm (blew off the stand) about 4 years ago. It had the same symptom as yours. As I remember it was pretty straightforward and was just a matter of getting the gear train meshed correctly with the inner and outer halves of the case aligned properly. I think that it took about 15 minutes to get it apart and realigned and reassembled. If you look at the case you will see what needs to be removed to open it up. I did it in the middle of a field with the tools that I had on my bike.
    Thanks - FWIW this is how I did it: took the left case off; unscrewed the heat shield from inside the case; lifted the 4 metal tabs off the molded plastic posts inside; unscrewed the 6 screws on the back of case that hold the pop out mechanism and loosened the screws that held the 2 gear wheels (one at a time) on the side that was out of alignment. Made sure the gears were aligned the same as the side that was ok and re-tightened them; rescrewed everything else back and voila!
    Last edited by dyg; 07-30-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Per: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46055 - I've added year/model to your thread title.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche