• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2010 F650GS Twin Gearing

Telebeamer

Recently purchased 2010 F650GS Twin. Planned to use on and off road but have found 1st gear does not slow bike down on steep loose dirt roads. Sometimes stalls. Anyone else had this experience and is it just the nature of the gearing on that bike?
Thanks
Mark

Short answer: yeah it's geared that way.... :cry

Longer answer:

The bike's internal gearing (transmission 1st gear) is pretty tall ... far too tall for an "adventure" bike IMHO.
The two explanations I've heard are:

1) Same gearbox as the other twins - saves money
2) Could not pass EU noise standards with lower gearing ...

I don't know, but but I really wish first gear were lower as well....
anyway ... we can't change that ...
The only thing you as the owner can really play with is the sprockets.

The standard sprockets on the F650GS twin are 17/41
for comparison the F800GS comes with 16/42
and the F700GS has 17/42
Some folks that do serious off-roading use a 15T front sprocket ...

Depending on your overall habits you could try a 16T or 15T front sprocket ... not a lot of expense involved in experimenting...

For a really really long answer :D - see:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457297

Great Info

Thanks for the input and advice. I think a sprocket change might be worth it but since it is on my wife's bike I will let her make the call. (-:

Thanks for the input and advice. I think a sprocket change might be worth it but since it is on my wife's bike I will let her make the call. (-:

A wise man you are ... :clap

My next serious dirt-ride the 15T will go on ..............
I wish the BMW had the "snail" adjusters like my old honda ................

F650GS gearing

Recently purchased 2010 F650GS Twin. Planned to use on and off road but have found 1st gear does not slow bike down on steep loose dirt roads. Sometimes stalls. Anyone else had this experience and is it just the nature of the gearing on that bike?
Thanks
Mark
I have the same bike, 2011 version and have learned it is not a dirt bike partly because of the gearing and second because of the weight but it is a great adventure dual sport bike able to do both things pretty well plus great gas mileage.
Anytime I get close to gravel or loose dirt roads I turn the ABS off, that way you can drag the back wheel, if necessary, for braking and not lose your steering. Another improvement I made was the installation of Heidenau K60 scout tires, almost as good as the TKCs on dirt. but are supposed to wear much longer. More of a true 50 -50 dual sport tire.
Best wishes, Bruce

Back