• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Wyoming tour

merles

A few of us a planning to do a tour of Wyoming next month. Other than Yellowstone, can someone name some really interesting or must see sites in that great state?

Devil's Tower
Chief Joseph Scenic Byway
In MT not WY, but if you ride the Chief Joseph you'll be very close to Beartooth Pass.

I'm fairly new to the area so there are probably many others.

When is your ride? Yellowstone can be maddening at certain times. such as the week before Sturgis. Hundreds of trailered Harleys that unload each morning and parade around Yellowstone at 10 MPH under the speed limit in groups of 20 or more. Best time in my opinion is after school resumes and the population of visitors drops.

Not sure where you're coming from, but having just passed thru twice on my way to and from the Rally, I'd suggest ALT14, Chief Joseph Byway, and Beartooth Pass into Montana and back. Grand Teton NP just south of Yellowstone is nice if you get off the mainstream roads away from the Wall-E types. Devil's Tower up by the SD border is cool from a distance or up close after running the gauntlet of tourism stuff. Jackson if you're into mainstream tourism. Medicine Bow on 130 near the SE corner is very cool if you do it in a loop that drops into Colorado to catch the Cache du Poudre.

Highly suggest wicking garments this time of year. Oh, and it would help if you listed the sort of things you would like to see, i.e., city vs rural, technical vs scenic sweepers, hotels vs camping, etc. Also be aware that Sturgis is coming up with all the bad-distracted-sloth riding that comes with it.

Pete

Leaving Cody WY to the northwest on WY120, take WY296 (Dead Indian Highway) west. The road crests at Dead Indian Hill, and you get a magnificant view westward over the crest of the Rockies. The road descends to the Chief Joseph Highway, next to the Yellowstone River. It is worth the trip.

May I recommend -

Don't overlook Grand Teton NP, just south of Yellowstone.

Also - Chief Joseph Hwy is a great ride, with lots of scenery. Please note - two years ago, last time I rode it, more than a few tar snakes, so beware. (Don't pass up the ride and view on that account!)

Beartooth, as noted, is also close by.

To the southwest - It's been many years for me, and was not on a bike, but Flaming Gorge has some magnificent scenery also.

Regards, Marty

Flaming Gorge's scenery depends greatly on what time of day you're where - at the south end overlook at sunset, my girlfriend took some very colorful shots. We started getting rained on along the parallel road, so no info re that stretch or the north end.

The good part of Flaming Gorge (the south end) is technically in Utah. It's all good any way you slice it, but riding north up on 191 from Vernal is a great approach. 191 forks at the southern end and the great view is after you take the left side on to Hwy 44. Spectacular and a great descent before heading north. Both sides East or West meet up at Hwy 80. For some reason I sometimes take 191 heading south on the east side of the gorge when heading home.

Since you're new here I'll explain the Wyoming rules. If you ask about Wyoming and don't ride the Chief Joseph Hwy and the Beartooth Pass you have to turn in your membership card. We also suggest when you get home to sell your motorcycle. :deal Those two roads have to be the Holy Grail of motorcycle roads.

If you spend the night in Cody you get to do the whole thing in the morning. Coming out the eastside entrance of Yellowstone on Hwy 14 is a nice run to get you to Cody. From Cody take 120 north until west on 296 the Chief Joseph. Take 212 over The Beartooth Pass into Red Lodge, MT where there's ton of places for a late lunch. It just doesn't get much better. Some turn around and ride it again heading back to Cody and no one would argue with that. I've always had to continued north for northwest Montana.

Bighorn Mtns. couple of passes
Powder Pass hwy 16 via Buffalo on the east or Worland on the west or
Shell canyon via Sheridan from the east or Greybull/Shell in the west.

Also there is an airport near Greybull with a bunch of old vintage aircraft if you are into that.

There is a canyon run south of Thermopolis that follows the bighorn river, Nice ride and scenery. Thermopolis has some great hotsprings.

Togwotee Pass on the continental divide, between the towns of Dubois and Moran Junction is a nice ride. There was construction when we went through there 2 years ago so to me that means near new pavement.

Nightly rodeos in Cody, buy a pair of cowboy boots and a plaid shirt and enjoy!

I rode the area this summer. The Chief Joseph Highway, Beartooth Scenic Byway, north Yellowstone, and the Tetons are spectacular. Camped at Colterbay Campground at the Tetons and only cost $8!

Back